Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 380 hub extender or not??

380 hub extender or not??

I don't have the ability to trial fit my new wheel at present but I'm curious to know what the general concensus is on hub extenders for 914 wheels fitted to LWB early 911s. Mine is a 1970 fitted with original sport seats. Currently the car has a momo fitzipaldi wheel. I'm about 6 foot tall with pretty long arms.

Love to hear peoples experience / views...

Best,

Alex

Hi all,

Still looking for input on this. Looks like extenders are available at the moment so some input would be great. Just looking for general observations from those who have changed their wheels over to 914. On the LWB cars does the wheel mount too close to the dash? How close are your fingers to the dash?

Love to hear opinions - my car currently does not have a dash or seats in it so I can't test at present.

Best,

Alex

Alex,

I have a 380 wheel with the hub extender. It's suites the car perfectly and makes cornering so much more in control. The 400 is too big and anything smaller than 380 was too small for me. I have sport seats also.

Good luck on your mission.
    Dave Pugh
    '73S #493
    RGRUPPE #627
    http://pughmedia.tumblr.com/

If you have a 380mm wheel, IMHO you need a hub extender. ESPECIALLY on a SWB car. It moves your fingers away from the dash which, again, with a 380mm wheels will be otherwise very close and often hit the dash when turning. Thanks.

-Allen-

+1. I have had 380 wheels both with and without the extension. I completely prefer the hub extension as it gets the wheel a little closer to me, helps with clearance on the dash, and gives my knees a little more room.
    I'm also over 6 foot tall FWIW.

Cheers
    Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Agreed...I put a 380mm VDM wheel with extended hub in my '72, and it feels just right. Plenty of room for fingers between the wheel and dash. BTW, I'm 6'1". I much prefer this setup over the Momo Prototipo it replaced.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Interesting thread. I'm sold. I have a 380mm wheel from a 914 in my '69 911. Do you guys know how I could get it modified with an extender? Does anyone offer the service or the part? Sounds like some guys have attempted to remanufacture the extender hub.

Sierra Madre is selling a hub extender......hub only, no fasteners, but a very nice and accurate fitting piece.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    +1 for 380 w/ hub extension

I also used an extender I made for my former 911 '73, its 3cm so it needs the 914 horn contact finger, it really makes a difference when you have long legs (1.9m), very comfortable

http://www.aasesales.com/products/h6h-f56-100w-105158
    http://www.aasesales.com/products/h5d-b52-18i-104037

http://www.sierramadrecollection.com...73-p25185.html

Neither company apparently offers the center cap that's needed for the horn's operation:
    Attached Images Attached Images