Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your 914s, Whether Original or Modified (hot rods).

Post your 914s, Whether Original or Modified (hot rods).

We have a great thread dedicated to original "correct" 914-6s but this ain't it (bad grammar and all). This thread is for those who are into 914-4s, modified 914-6s, 4s converted into 6s, GTs and everything in between. If you love to drive your 914, please post it.

Since I am kicking off the tread, permit me to talk about my baby. I am the third owner of this '71. It started life as a 1.7 with the appearance group and steelies. The original PO did some upgrades, by installing a 2.0 with Webbers and fake 4 lug Fuches. The second owner never drove it, but installed a carpet kit and a decent stereo. He bought it to give to his wife for her 40th birthday, but I made him an offer, and his wife has been pissed with him ever since. I feel guilty every time I see her.

Since I am rather lousey at shifting by feel (the original 'spoon in the bowl' tail shifter), I tossed out the original and had a side shift installed. She looked kinda fast, but still more resembled a sheep in wolf's clothing. After driving my 2.7 RS Spec and then getting in the 2 liter 914, the performance was in a word, underwhelming. As a result I decided to take a 3 liter jump for a bit more umpf. Of course more hp and torques begs for better brakes, better traction, and suspension. Down the slippery slope.

Bernie Buschen did the all the conversion work from this point forward. The suspension was substancially upgraded with a full Elephant polybronze street-track setup. To help it stop, it was converted from 4 to 5 lug with early 911S light weight calipers from members of this board. For traction I went with 6's and 7's. The 7's of course necessitated the rear fenders being pulled - but I like the narrow kind of understated look. To help a bit with air intake and cooling I added a GT style engine double grill cover which had been through Bernie's unfortunate fire. Bernie rebuilt a 3 liter with some mild internal mods - better oiling, hotter cam. It has new Webbers on PMO risers and a sport exhaust. One thing this motor has which the 2.0 didn't was gobs of torque.

Since the 3 liter was overheating with its stock engine mounted oil cooler Mr. Buschen added a front cooler which gets its air supply from the fog light grills.

Since purchasing the car, it's been a five year road to it's present state. Since the car is totally bastardized. and Bernie needs my original backpad and fixed seat for the real 914-6 he is restoring, it will be getting a 3 piece back pad and a sliding passanger seat from another board member, Scooter's 74 914-6 conversion.

On to the pictures:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

My 914-6 #131

1972 1.7

I found this one about 1/2 mile from me with a for sale sign in the guys yard. For the test drive I drove it to my bank for the cash before he changed his mind
    It is a low mileage, original paint car with Zero rust, not even in the battery box!!!

What a fun car, and they can be had for pennies on the dollar of a early 911.
    Rob Abbott

old softie67S
    Well, my 914 is a 1970 factory 914-6. It did not have the original 2.0 ltre six when I got it in the 80's. It had a 2.2T engine in it that i was told was a warranty replacement motor. Because it was a non matching number car, I decided I could take some liberities with this car, all of which are reversible except for the chassis stiffening. I have the 2.2 engine pickled and on the shelf along with the 914-6 transaxle and front suspension. I installed a 3.2 hotrod short stroke motor. It has weber 46s, high compresion Mahles, GE60 cams, fully ported heads, with twin plug ignition. It is very entertaining. The transaxle is a factory LSD box that was converted to side shifter, billet intermediate and side covers and short geared. It runs AFMSX which with the torque of a 3.2 and the reving of a short stroke motor makes this thing boggie. It is never out of its power curve. The car is lightened of most of its interior, has fiberglass bumpers and it has twin Scheels. It has a GT engine grill. The car has a front gt cooler in the bumper. It runs later struts with S alloy calipers . The car has GT chssis stiffening kit installed and the rear trailing arms are boxed. The original rear 914-6 calipers were converted to GT configuation by Eric Shea and I run vented rear rotors. I installed 7Rs at all four corners with 225/50. I have a set of metal flairs and 8 x 16 and 9 x 16s on the shelf. Between the 225s and LSD I haven't found it necessary to pulled the trigger to modify the narrow body. Other than the exhaust bark, It is an absolute sleeper. Sorry I do not have more images. PS The shot of the rear of the car looks a little off. It was taken during the trial fitting of the 7Rs. The image has 225/50 on a 7R on the right with 205/50 on a deep 6 the left.
    Last edited by tomkirkcis; 02-05-2012 at 09:31 AM.
    Tom

67S soft rear window
    60 356 Cab
    70 914-6 3.2 short stroke twin plug
    05 Audi S4 Cabrio (commuter)
    05 Audi Alroad (family driver)
    Aprilia SR 50R (Sanibel scoot)

Very cool car!
    '61 356B Super 90 Cabriolet
    '67 911S Coupe
    '70 914/6 GT

Well, I have owned 914-6 since 1979, My son is 17 and our last summer with him at home spawned this purchase,
    pretty well sorted , great engine (2.7 alum case twin plug) and 915 trans( close ratio), Chris can do all track and auto cross, Its a 72 914-4 with lots of goodies. no harm if it gets pranged. we did start a 3.2 project , but his school /sports/social life got in the way ( All Good ) I thought e should experience carbs this year.
    Jeff H.
    72 911
    914-6 GT

mad scientist
    Here is my 75. Her name is Dirty Penny. Powered by a Suby EJ20 turbo drivetrain. Yes, it does have the Suby transmission as well. I built it last year for the GRM $2011 Challenge. Should be out in next month's issue.

currently down with a spun bearing. In the process of building a new engine and will return for the $2012 event in October. I hope to get some track time in the car before the event.

1971 911T SWT - Sun and Fun Machine
    1972 911T - "Minne" painted and undergoing assembly.

Here is one of my six,s, its my 914 6 GT
    San

53 Pre A, 65 356
    70 914/6 GT
    65 912, 67 911
    71 911 Targa,72 E Tara, 73 911 Targa
    70 911 S,71 911 S,70 911 T,
    71 911 T, 72 911 E ,73 911 T
    74 911 Coupe
    74 911 Targa
    1972 RennSport Bus

Early Reg # 771

Subscribing to the thread....nice 914s guys...couple of pics of passed cars campaigned #37 and #444...pics of current factory 914-6 to follow

914 At IRP.jpg
    444 at CMP.jpg

Here's one of my two - This one is almost complete. I wanted a "resto-mod" that looked as stock as possible but would have sufficient power (and fun) for cruising on Northern Arizona mountain roads. This tub is a straight and rust free '75. The body was stripped, painted and bumpers, etc were backdated to '73. Paint is two stage Scarlett Red, original '75 color. The interior was completely redone, including brand new dash and rebuilt 914 and 911 gauges.

The engine is a 2.7 L from a 1974 911S that was completely rebuilt at 74,000 miles - Je pistons, "E" cams, etc. Interesting variation is that I have Zenith 40 Tin carbs, bored and rebuilt with new linkage. Custom stainless steel headers with dual exhaust. Patrick Motorsports 914-6 fender mounted aluminum oil tank; Patrick Motorsports front mounted oil cooler with braided lines, Mocal oil thermostat control. Rebuilt 901 side shift with stock gears and short shift.

911S front suspension with Koni shocks and sway bar. 140lbs springs at rear. Brakes are 911S aluminum calipers rebuilt with SS pistons including new rotors.

Lots of other stuff that I didn't mention. There is a little less than 5,000 miles on the build - I'm still completeing some small stuff, but its almost done. After completion, I'll probably keep it for a few months longer than trade it for a LWB long hood project of similar value. Then I can start on my black and tan '73 2.0 914 Turbo!
    IMG_0285.jpgIMG_0288.jpgIMG_0297.jpgIMG_0299.jpgIMG_0301.jpg