Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help with seat detail on Early four legged style Recaro bucket

Need help with seat detail on Early four legged style Recaro bucket

Please see pics of material used for the detail one shots. Both seats are have perf bolsters with cord centers. I would like to know what is the correct material for the "side of the centers". Perf or German vinyl? As you can see one is perf and one is smooth hence the request from the experts.

Also, in re: to the headrest, what is the correct material for the sides? Perf or German vinyl? Gonna assume cord centered headrest if cord centered seat.

Thanks so much in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by bob tilton; 02-07-2012 at 10:11 PM.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

My opinion is smooth vinyl on sides of seat bottom, and sides of headrest, I can't ever recall seeing Perf in either area you indicated. Now whether the headrest had to have cord if the seat did...hmmm, not sure. I've got a 68 sport seat with cord inserts and cord headrest, also a 68 seat with houndstooth inserts and houndstooth headrest. I have an original vinyl bucket that has basketweave centers and smooth vinyl headrest. That's my opinion, I'm sure you'll get others!!

The only early ("4-feet") Recaro fixed buckets that I've had were upholstered in plain (non-perforated) vinyl with cord centres so can't comment from personal experience.

I would say there's probably no definitive answer but here's a shot of the Recaro seat in 911R #20:

Name:  67Rseats closeup.jpg
Views: 925
Size:  94.6 KB
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

67 rally kit seat

Bob,

The pic of the four leg pepita you posted shows a completely original never re-upholstered seat sitting on our kitchen table.

That four leg has no accomodation for a headrest and came with a matching 67 Recaro sport seat.

TC
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Raj, Bob:

Oops. Yes, smooth on the sides at "Detail one."

T
    Early 911S Registry
    Looking for engine 960 168
    Looking for gear box 103 165

Here is a picture of my seat before it was redone, smooth on the sides:
    Name:  SEAT1.JPG
Views: 847
Size:  79.1 KB
    Name:  SEAT2.JPG
Views: 840
Size:  58.9 KB
    Michael Moenstermann
    Osnabrueck - Germany
    Early 911S member #1052

'While accelerating the tears of emotion have to flow off horizontally to the ears.'
    'Understeer is when you see the tree you are hitting, if you only hear the tree then it was oversteer'.
    'You can't treat a car like a human being - a car needs love'. (all Walter Röhrl)

Thanks for the replies gentlemen! I've been working closely with Michael of Vintage Seats to get all the details correct (material placement, enlarged perf holes with special treatment, correct 100% cotton 8 wale cord, etc).

Based on the info above and Michael, I'll be going with German vinyl on the sides of of the cord center bottoms and all German vinyl headrests.

Still interested in seeing more pic samples of cord centers especially if they're faded to brown.

Thanks again!
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

It is my understanding based on a previous exchange with Eric that the original cord was cotton which is why they faded. So any original cord material would be great. Kind of want to see how much they faded and how they faded from seat back to seat bottom (more fade at seat back or same amount of fading at both???).
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com

Bob

This adjustable bucket seat I have is slightly younger (circa '72/'73) than you are looking at but it is a good example of the fading centre cushions.
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167

Couple of early swb recaro buckets I had showing fading of the cord:

Name:  Stefans seats fr.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  92.6 KB

Name:  Stefans seats above.jpg
Views: 675
Size:  72.7 KB

- & no, the stain wasn't caused/created by me !!
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105