Thread: GTS Classics ST Seats?

Senior Member Christian Guthrie's Avatar

GTS Classics ST Seats?

Can someone who owns these please tell me how they like them? My biggest concern is that my wife is 5' 0' and won't be able to drive the car with them due to how deep you sit in the seat. Thanks for the help,
    Christian

I dont own these seats but have sat in several .

GTS can do some custom fiddling for you to help a bit,... you could even ask Stefan( owner) to make a pillow/support w/ matching materials for when your SO drives....

....and I must say I would think she 'd be fine as long as the seat remains on sliders for adjusting..

I took delivery on my GTS STs just before the New Year and took some work/learning to install them for my liking.

The STs are fixed-back (fiberglass) and have a pretty reclined positioning. Stefan sends them with flat brackets to mount to the car with a 15" spacing between rails. Upon installing this set-up in my car, the above static recline was too much for my liking. The fix was to switch from the flat 15" spacing brackets to tilt/rake Recaro brackets. Stefan sent me the Recaro bases but ran into 2 issues: 1) he was in the process of moving shops and could not make the bent/drilled horizontal rails to mount to the seat/braket to allow for the adjustments. I got a fabricator buddy of mine to bend some 1" wide x 3/16" steel and I drilled the holes needed. 2) Recaro spacing is ~16" (? metric) between rails and original brackets were 15". The seats had 16" holes to mount to, but were behind fiberglass which I had to drill out for only the 15" were open, to match the flat brackets sent. Not Stefan's fault, he simply opened those that matched the original brackets sent.

With this said, I would highly recommend the seats for they are of good quaility, very comfortable, and look great.... and highly recommend working with Stefan to get the tilt/height Recaro mounts initially. Stefan will have the 16" spacing holes open to receive the brackets which will save a lot of trouble. Be sure he has the bent/drilled rails as well, else, if you are handy, can make yourself.

If you have trouble getting the above from Stefan, Mike with VintageSeats can sell you the full Recaro brackets and bent/drilled rail combos, just need to check with him to ensure the hole spacing from the seats to his rails are correct. I think they are. He is very friendly and happy to answer questions, like Stefan.

Type of brackets you need:
    Name:  securedownload.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  47.0 KB

In car now:
    Name:  Seat1.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  84.7 KB
    Last edited by richemj; 02-08-2012 at 09:03 AM.
    -Mike
    EarlyS #1320
    '71 T/RS LWT 3.2L

Thank you gentleman for the help! The seats look great in your car,
    Christian

Hi Christian, thank you for your questions.I think if you create a different bracket that would accommodate you ( how tall are you ? ), than your wife could be at a level to feel more comfortable to sit ,drive and enjoy the car.
    I have an idea, but need to know how tall you are and what our gap it to bridge between the 2 of you.
    regards Stefan GTSclassics
    702 353 7175
    ClassicCarSeats.com

Plus, besides the great seats, Stefan is a great guy, upstanding person. You should not have any problems with him at all.
    San

53 Pre A, 65 356
    70 914/6 GT
    65 912, 67 911
    71 911 Targa,72 E Tara, 73 911 Targa
    70 911 S,71 911 S,70 911 T,
    71 911 T, 72 911 E ,73 911 T
    74 911 Coupe
    74 911 Targa
    1972 RennSport Bus

Early Reg # 771

Christioan, what I've always done is to angle the floor rail up in the front by an inch or more. When the seat slides forward for my shorter (by 7") missus it also moves higher in the car. You'd have to play with it a bit depending on your height differences. Torso length would need to be factored in. This may not work for you, but it does just what Heidi and I need.

Zitronengelb R1012 the RatBasterd
    RGruppe #183

Thanks Jens. You are the second person to suggest this and it sounds like the perfect solution. The misses will be thrilled. Her biggest complaint with the 356 was she never felt comfortable driving it. Wish I had thought of this!