Thread: Trombone Oil Cooler on SWB ?

Trombone Oil Cooler on SWB ?

Has anyone fitted a Trombone Style Oil Cooler with related lines/T Stat on a SWB? What/where are the mounting points? Do weld nuts need to be installed? Any dimensional problems? Any pictures?
    Thanks,
    50/50

This is what the Big Taco put in my car. I can get pictures on Friday.

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

SWB trombone oil cooler and lines

Yup. Elephant Racing oil lines and trombone oil cooler. One more bracket was added to the cooler. I don't have a picture of that at the moment. The SWB Elephant lines where strait forward.
    For more pictures on the car go to Community on the tool bar then Albums then 912P. The P stands for POLO a 4 cylinder 911 engine, so this 912 has a rear fender oil tank and plumbing like a 911.
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 02-08-2012 at 03:36 PM.

Trombone Oil Cooler on SWB ?

I also did a front cooler install on my 67S. Basically I used the 69-71 oil thermostat console, SC oil lines, and the 3.2 Carrera cooler. I wanted the early oil thermostat console so that the oil lines would route over the top of the tire, since with 7" rims there isn't enough room for oil lines between the tire and inner fender. I believe Elephant has made lines for a later thermostat that will also route the lines up over the top. I had to have special fittings welded up to make the attachment to the SC oil lines. One of the SC lines had to be modified with a 90 degree corner cut from an old trombone cooler sweat soldered in to help it make the corner up to the front fender well. The fender joining panel is different on cars up to end of 71. To mount the oil lines to the rocker I install weld nuts into the rocker and then can use a 6 X 1.00 threaded bolt and plastic spacer to prevent crushing the bracket. (I hate sheet metal screws!) The cooler is mounted using a lower bracket and an upper bracket welded to the back of the headlight bucket. Although not on yet in the picture I do have the louvered plate installed. The louvers are an important part of the cooling air flow. How does it work???? Well in two cross country drives sometimes in 100 degree ambient, and running 75 to 90 mph I've never seen it go above 195 degrees. Once in a Loooong Dallas traffic jam in 100 degree temps it got to 210. As soon as I got rolling it came right back to 190. Most of the time in normal temps It won't go past 185.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Chris:
    Thanks for the pics. Considering the Polo Motor for my 356. Very nice unit.

Ed:
    What do you think about using a recycled set of lines and trombone?
    Great advice/description as usual.
    50/50

By recycled do you mean SC lines? They work fine, as I mentioned I did a little reshaping at the front corner, and it would be easier if you use the SC thermostat as cmpski did. I don't think you said what engine size, but a trombone will be fine at least up to a 2.7 for street use. Even if you needed more cooler eventually the hard part is done, then its just a matter of exchanging coolers once the lines are in.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Good Morning Ed
    PM Sent.
    50/50

Trombone install instructions w/pics also in the factory repair manual.

Sherwood