Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CA Black Plates on a White Plate Car???

CA Black Plates on a White Plate Car???

I'm sure somebody on this forum has figured this out. I have a nice set of California black plates. The car I bought for my restoration project was registered with newer white plates (I don't know why. The previous owner died). I'd like to get these black plates on my restoration project.

I thought I found an easy way. I simply applied with the DMV online for personalized plates with the same letter number sequence. It said they were available and pushed me all the way through to the 'Check-Out". After I paid it came back up saying "This plate sequence is unavailable". I assume they have blocked out the three letter-three number sequence.

Any ideas?

http://dmv.ca.gov/vehindustry/vin_me...09/09vin09.pdf

You will need this form:

http://dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg352.pdf

You will also need the correct sticker for your year.
    I'm off to the DMV tomorrow to give it a shot.

Tyson
    Early 911S Registry #472
    1968 S - #477
    Mostly Stock

Let me know how it goes.

Hi Tyson-- You mean the correct Month sticker for when your car was registered? Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

raspy - No. I mean one of these, for the year of your car:

http://classiclicenseplates.biz/store/product444.html

Tyson
    Early 911S Registry #472
    1968 S - #477
    Mostly Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Craig T View Post
    I'm sure somebody on this forum has figured this out. I have a nice set of California black plates. The car I bought for my restoration project was registered with newer white plates (I don't know why. The previous owner died). I'd like to get these black plates on my restoration project.
    The first question I have is what car are you planning to put them on? Is this for your backdate project on a '75 model year car? If so, I'm afraid you won't find any way to legally mount black plates on it. If you read the PDF on the YOM plate program linked above, you will see that it only applies to '69 and earlier cars. You can't put them on a later car.

There are several threads to be found here on "black plates" if you search that might give you some ideas about how you could "spoof" the black plate look, but none of them are strictly legal. If you are talking about some other earlier car, then it is just a matter of following the procedure. It takes awhile and costs some $$ (including a $10/yr. premium on your succeeding registration fees), but it can be done if the plates are in good shape and you have the correct MY sticker in the upper righthand corner that corresponds to the model year of the car, which they will verify by the VIN.

Good luck with your project,
    TT
    Last edited by ttweed; 02-14-2012 at 07:48 AM.
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

My 1969 911 is a California car that I have the black plates for, but I purchased the white plate that has the 911 E number, can this white plate be requested in black?
    Or is it an issue to have the white plate reconditioned to black?
    Last edited by Curt Hammill; 02-14-2012 at 08:07 AM.

Okay, just got back from the DMV. All in all, it went well. Here's a synopsis:

Made an appointment online for the Santa Clara DMV.
    I brought the following with me:
    Black plates x2
    Correct year plate sticker (pink)
    Registration
    Form 352 - Filled Out
    Title
    Proof of Insurance

Showed up 10 minutes early and was assigned a number. 10 minute wait before I was called to a window. Clerk mostly knew how to process a YOM assignment. She mainly kept checking with her supervisor to make sure she got it correct. They took a photocopy of the plates and sticker along with my registration. I watched her complete the bottom of the form, making sure she entered the correct information.
    Paid my fess ($45 + next 12 registration fees since they were due)
    Waited to get my receipt, temporary registration and temporary operating permit.

Once I got them, I thanked her and left. No BS, no attitude. 40 minutes total time at DMV. Now I'm just waiting for the tags to show up in the mail.

Tyson
    Early 911S Registry #472
    1968 S - #477
    Mostly Stock

Okay, here's the rest of the story. Today, four weeks and one day later, I received my new registration, month and year sticker, along with the two aluminum "ears" in the mail. DMV approved my YOM plates and registration sticker. Overall, I'm happy with the process and it took on the short end of the 4 to 6 week estimate that I've read on the internet. So, for those of you wanting to do this, go for it!

Tyson
    Early 911S Registry #472
    1968 S - #477
    Mostly Stock

Did they require you to stick your correct year sticker on the black plate?