Thread: Early steering wheel questions

Early steering wheel questions

Last year I acquired a 68 912 that came with the Hockey puck steering wheel. It's probably double wrapped too, don't know if you can tell from the picture or not, but it feels like it is...

I happen to like that wheel *a lot more* than the standard later wheel I've got on my 1972 T. Could be in my head, but it also seems more dished and therefore seems to provide a little more space between the wheel and the dash. I can't say for sure as I only got to drive my 72 once, 7 months ago, to the shop for engine/tranny refurb, and it is *still* there.

Anyway... I'd like to have such a wheel on the 72 as well, if affordable... Is there anything I should know or a reason not to do this ? (fitment, sacrilege, other pitfalls like buying the wrong kind)

I found a few for sale, the wheel itself seems reasonable (several around $100, and I'd send it to be rewrapped regardless) but the hockey puck itself seems to fetch $$$$.... Wondering what those wheels normally go for, and what else you can tell me about those ?
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

The first things I would do is:

measure the size of the wheel
    measure the circumvent

This will kind of ID the wheel

RIchard

well, I'd like to actually turn that around. I'm not worried about what type I have in the 912 specifically, but I
    d like to get a similar model that will work for the 72.. I know it's a 400mm wheel, but I'd like to know if *any* of those would fit a 72 911, or if I need to look for a specific part # to ensure proper fit in a later long hood. Also an idea on the going rate would be good. I was going to go Momo, but I really like that early shape. Just looking for "gotchas" before I bid on something...
    Last edited by Greg D.; 02-15-2012 at 08:21 AM.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

A few points:

- any original 911/912 steering wheel from '65-'73 is directly interchangeable - ie you can fit any 420mm or 400mm version to your '72 model

- all original 911/912 400mm s/wheels have the same dish
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

If you like the 912 steering wheel why not put it on the 911?
    I liked the wheel that I had on my 912 so I put it on my 73. Seems simple enough.
    Are you sure your 912 wheel isn't 380? They feel to me to have more dish because they are smaller.
    Extended hubs are the way to really make the wheel closer/more comfortable.
    H
    Last edited by Harvey Weidman; 02-15-2012 at 07:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    If you like the 912 steering wheel why not put it on the 911?
    I liked the wheel that I had on my 912 so I put it on my 73. Seems simple enough.
    Are you sure your 912 wheel isn't 380? They feel to me to have more dish because they are smaller.
    Extended hubs are the way to really make the wheel closer/more comfortable.
    H
    Mostly because I like the 912 as it is, too ;-) I could have sworn it was dished more than the later wheel, because I don't have that feeling of my fingers being so close to the dash on the '12... But I guess I'm wrong... Well, good to know they are all interchangeable, I thought as much, but I was checking with the collective to avoid buying something that only fit a 914 or Porsche tractor, somehow... Does anyone make hockey puck replicas by any chance ? Seems odd to pay $100 for the wheel and $600 for a puck !

PS: Harvey, I'm gonna fuchs to refurb soon, how's the wait time nowadays ?
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

First. You might try searching the forum. There is almost TOO much info and discussion about the 380mm wheel
    A few useful threads can be found here:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-Wheel...Again
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...teering-wheels

These discuss dish etc. Basically for a direct fit of a 914 wheel you need to get the '71 and earlier wheel with the "flat" nut side face. These already have the holes in the back for the 911 horn cancel ring. The others will also easily work as long as you drill and tap the holes required for the cancel ring.

The repop horn buttons are available from:
    https://www.zuffenhaus.us/cgi-bin/co...action&key=302
    Still not cheap and you will need to find a donor horn button or butterfly to steal the mounting hardware off of. They are nice though!

Finally, +1 to the extended hub making the wheel more comfortable. getting it closer to you creates more clearance at the top with the dash and if you are tall (like I am) it helps give your legs a little more vertical room.

Kent
    Last edited by kentf14; 02-15-2012 at 08:49 AM. Reason: typ-o
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306