Thread: Initial Startup Following Hibernation

Initial Startup Following Hibernation

My car is nearing completion of body/paint restoration, and the engine has not been started/run in 8 months. Other than replacing the oil, oil filter, air filter, trans fluid, fuel filter prior to the initial start up, is there anything else that should be done prior to firing it up?
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

Hi Frank, all I do is pull the spark plugs, pull the coil wire from the center of the distributor cap and GROUND it (gotta give the electricity someplace to go so it doesn't try to arc someplace) and then crank the engine 15 seconds or so at a time with a 15 second or so rest in between until the oil pressure gauge flickers. Oh, and also pull the power wire from the top of the fuel filter so the cold start doesn't keep squirting. Once you see signs of oil pressure put everything back together and start up as normal. Been a long road hasn't it?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed!
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921

You didn't mention whether there is still old gas in the tank, Frank, but I would add draining any 8-month-old fuel and replacing it with fresh gas too. If you treated it with a fuel stabilizer before the layup it might still be good enough, but I would rather use it in my lawnmower or chain saw or something. That's a long time for condensation to build up in the tank, especially if your local fuel formulation includes ethanol.

TT
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

Quote Originally Posted by ttweed View Post
    You didn't mention whether there is still old gas in the tank, Frank, but I would add draining any 8-month-old fuel and replacing it with fresh gas too. If you treated it with a fuel stabilizer before the layup it might still be good enough, but I would rather use it in my lawnmower or chain saw or something. That's a long time for condensation to build up in the tank, especially if your local fuel formulation includes ethanol.

TT
    Good advice Tom...we do plan to drain the tank and put fresh in
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921