Thread: SWB Anti Roll Bar Console Mount

SWB Anti Roll Bar Console Mount

Looking to weld on two console mounts for a rear anti roll bar on a SWB while the pan is stripped and the suspension is disassembled. Here is the p/n http://www.stoddard.com/shop/shopexd.asp?id=2651 So does anyone have a reference measurement/point to place them?
    Thanks,
    50/50

The best way that I have found is to install the sway bar to the control arms and with the mounts/bushings on the bar and hold it up to the chassis and tack. Then remove the bar and weld. Every time we tried to do it by measuring they wound up binding. Maybe someone else has had better luck doing it by measurement, but we haven't...
    JMHO
    H

Ditto Harvey

But you'll also need the gearbox cross-member installed to ensure you don't foul the bolts that hold the gear box up
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

You are right John. Forgot about the crossmember.
    I don't think that I would even try without the engine/trans and suspension in and loaded.
    H

Thanks Harvey and John:
    Shouldn't the location for the rear ARB mounts on a 67S be the same? As I have everything out and stripped of undercoat I am trying to get'r done prior to undercoat and reassembly.
    50/50

The contour of the consoles will fit the sheet metal anywhere along the seam. This means it's possible to get them wrong on either or both sides and cause either binding or fouling of the gearbox crossmember.

I stand to be corrected, but I'm pretty sure there is a raised "divot" on the sheet metal that locates the hole in the console - this will get you 90% to right. But as Harvey notes, if the angle of both consoles is not perfect, when you torque up the U brackets containing the bushes there may be a miss-alignment that caused mild to sever binding. You resolve this by fitting it up complete in its brackets and slowly stitch weld the consoles in place ensuring that the bar does not bind.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

I would also box the consoles with an additional sheetmetal cover welded to the inside lips after installation, or at least gusset the lower lip that carries most of the load from the bracket, especially if you are going to drive the car hard on modern sticky tires or use an oversize rear ARB (or both, as I do with my '68).
    Tom Tweed
    Early S Registry #257
    R Gruppe #232
    Rennlist Founding Member #990416-1164
    PCA National DE Instructor
    Read my surf novel!

If you don't want to cut them out & bend them yourself, PM me.