Thread: Reading Brochures ....

Reading Brochures ....

I have recently had the good fortune to acquire a '71(9/70) brochure from a friend via Freistadt(Austria) and Phoenix AZ,being hand delivered to Willoughby(Sydney) earlier this week.
    Not being a brochure collecting expert,I was unsure how this brochure fitted into the scheme of things by being a customer brochure or something else.
    It turns out that after reading this brochure,it is a sales brochure for sales personnel use only.
    The front banner says 'VW-Porsche gmbh' so I assumed this was the UK market version as,I again assume,Porsche + Audi would have had a separate publication for the USA sales market.
    My brochure has quite different markings to the light blue 'Concept' brochure of similar date.
    The Concept brochure is - W 3e-013-1070-0704 and the Sales Program brochure code is as below.
    Can anyone illuminate me as to how to read these codings ? - Thomas ? - Charlie White ?
    W = werbung - advertising/sales material
    e = English
    9/70 and 1070 = '71 model year
    but the rest is a mystery ....

Cheers,
    Dennis
    Last edited by gulf908; 02-17-2012 at 08:01 PM.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Good question Dennis!

Look at this photo: same brochure in different language (german/italian) and different code.
    A lot of numbers of identification on the italian one and just three numbers on the german one.

Hope someone can illuminate us...

Name:  DSC_0003.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  56.6 KB

Name:  DSC_0002.jpg
Views: 186
Size:  60.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by gulf908 View Post
    it is a sales brochure for sales personnel use only.
    The front banner says 'VW-Porsche gmbh' so I assumed this was the UK market version as,I again assume,Porsche + Audi would have had a separate publication for the USA sales market.
    Dennis, for Europe, as you stated in 1969 VW and Porsche created a shared company (mbH) for marketing&distributing
    (i.e. "Vertriebsgesellschaft") their new 914.4/914.6&911 models. For the US, Porsche and Audi built the Porsche&Audi corp., sharing dealer forces by distributing their models but therefore not combine Porsche&VW but Porsche&Audi into one legally new corp. They also published shared Porsche&Audi 80/100 models brochures but not until 1974.
    In 1972, Porsche (KG) changed into a shared holder corp. (AG) and the VW&Porsche comp. (mbH) was abandoned.

In my opinion your 1971 item is not a sales personel only item, its for clients too and a regular use brochures.
    Since it names VW&Porsche, its RoW. Note also the distinct VW-Porsche logo.
    It was delivered with a separate pricelist for each RoW country. I have one with a swiss dealer stamp and the swiss pricelist inside. A similar RoW item was in use for 1970:

In general, Porsche always produced foldouts, regular as well as luxurious brochures, as it was already the case for MY 66 (white 911 & 912 and regular 911 & 912 lit, white MY 67 911S and regular "wheel" 911S lit.).

*RoW: foldouts, regular and "luxurious" brochure.
    Besides above listed 1970 and 1971 RoW 911&914 brochures, Porsche also produced a luxurious brochure.
    (white cover "The Concept of the Porsche 911", exists in several languages).
    Porsche produced the same luxurious brochure but w another cover.
    (blue cover with 1969/1970 Weltmeister decal)
    They produced a foldout (white " The new...2.2models)
    They produced a two page foldout printed in several languages. (red&blue 911 with 1969/1970 Weltmeister decal).
    Porsche produced a foldout (yellow 911) as well as the luxurious 2.4 (white 911 from rear) in several languages.
    foldout (purple 911) plus revised 2.4 brochure w separate pricelist and technical foldout.

*US: foldouts, regular and "luxurious" brochure.
    Porsche produced the "Porsche a Love story" brochure, in use also for 1971
    Porsche also produced a large foldout ("No matter which...).
    Porsche produced the "Once you buy a Porsche, there is no other kind of car) plus a dealer foldout (red car).
    By 1973, the 2.4 brochure item was distributed in the US as well, its US content sligthly changed. (MY 73 bumpers)
    The "purple 911" foldout was equally distributed and US content changed (SAE hp vs. DIn PS).

*Codes.
    Codes on the rear side of each lit differed for each item and each (language) market. It could be found on (factory printed) pricelists as well. Some items got printed by US distributors only and differ with their ID code since it was not designed/printed by the factory, but nevertheless an official factory item. Porsche factory lit., VW/Porsche as well as US Porsche or Porsche&Audi lit. each had different codes.

*US vs RoW lit design
    Starting from 1969 on, US distributors designed their own brochures, accessories folders and fold-outs. Factory design was used for RoW markets only and often can be described as a much more restraint graphic design, while US graphic design included the latest design trends. RoW Porsche and RoW VW literature had much in common and shared the same design philosophy. This was not the case for the US.

*914 lit. vrs 911 lit.
    While for RoW there exists a shared 914&911 lit, (as far as I know) for the US it was never the case.
    In the US, the 914 was always labelled as a Porsche, in Europe the 914.4 as well as the 914.6 was labelled as a "VW-Porsche", there exists also separate RoW 914 lit for each MY 70-73.

*Sales personel literature differed considerably from client lit. and was always specifially named, it exists in different designs and format, for each MY.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 02-18-2012 at 05:21 AM.
    Registry member No.773