Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lit Fair/Swap pictures

Thumbs up Lit Fair/Swap pictures

Please post your event pics here........
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 03-05-2012 at 11:55 AM.
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Here are some of the photos I took of the event

...a gorgeous $6,500 1:8 scale resin model of the Porsche 917K

Name:  DSC01922b.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  81.2 KB

Name:  DSC02159.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  79.8 KB

Another very nice model at the literature show...

Name:  DSC01927.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  65.3 KB

Wow! I know a few looking for the same bra, but for the early 911...

Name:  DSC01929.jpg
Views: 845
Size:  94.4 KB

Name:  DSC02050.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  96.8 KB
    Last edited by 914-6gt; 03-05-2012 at 07:47 AM.

2012 Literature Meet

I haven't been to this event in, like, years. Started going waaaaay back, in my 356 days, back when everything took place out at The Hacienda (?) on Sepulveda.

Since then its gotten bigger. (Like . . . . a whole lot.)

Two halls-full of vendors/stuff ---- both packed with people. I heard something about 1500 people through the doors, but I think it was more. Parking is a total pain --- all the local outside lots I used to use have been either fenced-off or turned into high-rise something-or-others, so I ended up paying to park inside. Actually underground. Actually 5 or 6 floors down. (!!) (Honestly, I didn't know they dig down that deep.)

Anyway, ten bucks to get in, 10 bucks to park. Got there around 9:00, I wasn't expecting to be there that long . . . ended staying almost three-and-a-half hours. I'm not a big lit-buff ---- although I was/am hot to find a '70 PDL (found out this listing was stuck with the Owner's manuals and other glove box paraphernalia). Lots of neat stuff. Some really cool stuff. And some effing outrageous stuff.

Not many pictures, crummy lighting, so . . . .

Rick

1) and 2) Hall Two. Thing I remember most about this side was this Guy Named Jay. License frame vendor. Big time. Told me some fascinating details about Robert W Brown Co Downey

3) Hall One. Lotsa stuff in here. And this is about when I went into sensory-overload. Trying to place names to faces, 'ommagosh --- did you see that?,' and 'I'm looking for this whatchamacallit that guzinta --- mayhem

4) Posters. Crummy shot but this is what I remember the most about the old show. No Seinfeld
    Attached Images Attached Images     

We Can Be Heroes

Great stuff! More pics and stories PLEASE!!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by 72targa View Post
    Would love to see any pictures from the Lit Fair...really wanted to go!
    Peter,

don't mean to rub it in, but if you really wanted to go, this was the year to do it..............fabulous !!!. Better attended than ever before, better and more vendors, better and more cars, better weather than ever before, in short, it was a wonderful weekend.

This entire series of Porsche related events, informally stitched together to form the LA Lit Show weekend really came into its own this year. It has become World Class on every level and in my opinion now constitutes one of the established staple exhibitions world-wide ( Essen, Paris Retro, etc. )....... and has a further advantage over most of those events: it's only about one marque, thus concentrating the target audience, and even though Open House events may appear & disappear, with the increase in overall attendance to the entire weekend, new ones usually pop up to take the place of discontinued ones, and the centerpieces, the Lit & Toy Show and the Sunday swap meet ( although I would have to add John Wilhoit's Open House as one of the "must see & do" events ) have long-term agreements in place for a number of years to come and will always form the backbone of the weekend. With an apparently improving economic outlook I think things will only get better and attract even larger numbers and higher activity levels.

The four events I attended this past weekend, and the order of the photos posted of each were:

Wilhoit's Open House on Friday

La Lit Show at The LAX Hilton in the AM and the European Collectibles Open House on Saturday PM

The Swap Meet at The Phoenix Club on Sunday AM

I can't recommend this "season opening" weekend enough...........no matter where you are.

Part 1. WILHOIT Restorations Open House, Friday, March 2, '12

Last year was the first time John brought in a portable Chassis Dyno with operator. For $ 50.00 you can get you car dynoed and get a record of horsepower generated. It has proven to be very popular and has attracted many new attendees and their cars, not all of which have been Porsches, although this year's interloper was also German and air-cooled, ( photos 1 & 2, posted with Dave Conklin primarily in mind ). There were projects-in-process on display in the immaculate shop area, recently completed cars for sale were shown, and completed project cars from previous years now in the hands of happy owners were exhibited. One sensational '64 SC in "Fashion Gray" with dark chocolate-brown leather interior, made into a SC / GT Cabriolet ( which Porsche never produced back in the day ) was of particular note. What a stunning car..........ground-up restoration, 2 liter pushrod engine, Wilhoit's own sport suspension and enough elegant, impeccably executed details to make grown men swoon. How I wish I could have driven it home on Highway 1.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 03-05-2012 at 05:39 PM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

....and the second set of 5 from the WR Open House. Some engine shots of the cars waiting in the dyno-line. I particularly appreciated the Willi Kauhsen-signed poster next to the freshly reuilt 4-cam motor: "Für meinen Freund, John" - for my friend, John",...... beautiful. The '64 SC Cab really is special, too bad the site insists on posting the files in size order-Photo #2 of the brown interior should be the last photo of this post to go with the shot of the grey Cab. Sorry

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

More Lit Show . . .

Where else would you ever see this stuff?

1) 356 tool/parts hell

2) Porsche coins

3) Badges. For Badgers . . .

'I Say, Ellis --- you're not putting that masterpiece on some nasty smelly car, are you? . . .'

'Heavens no, Troy. They're going in my Badge Room.'

4) Some seats . . .

5). . . mixed in with Carrera cr@p. Real Carrera cr@p
    Last edited by LongRanger; 03-05-2012 at 10:23 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

If we keep this up, someone is going to have to 'relabel' the heading on this thread...

Part II of the LA Lit Show weekend.

1. The usual " '73 RS for Sale " parked at the Hilton's main entrance to attract walk-ins.

2. The three gents who manned the Registry booth at the Hilton.....plus one. From L to R, Fred Truman, visiting Bob Garretson, the chap out of uniform, Michael Hammond, and Chuck Miller.

3. One of the first things you see when entering..............Bruce Crawford's exquisite wood-rimmed steering wheels.

4. Every year I like to buy the one thing I don't need, but find beyond cool and must posses........well, this year the item that attracted my attention more than any other was this indispensable rally light which mounts in a hole you have to cut in the roof of your favorite 911, then you mount the light, wire it up under the headliner, and you can turn it 360 degrees and tilt it up and down with the black rubber-covered handle inside the car........but my wife, whom I asked along this year, and who accidentally heard the seller mention the price the to me, ...........well, that was the end of that !!

5. I was solemnly assured that this is the definitive, perfect, and correct tool kit for a '70 to '73 911.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 03-30-2012 at 09:04 AM.

........and the second set of five from the LA Lit Show.

1. Both Halls were filled with vendors, and were crowded throughout the day. A shot from late in the morning, getting near lunch time.

2. Belt-driven supercharger with Solex carb for 356 4-cylinder motors.

3. ......and as stated elsewhere, there was additional 356 treasure to be had by the carload.

4. as well as neat stuff you don't really need, but most of us desperately want.

5. One of the most useful, practical and reasonably priced products for the Early Porsche owner........Carl Bauer's Lackstift selection.

More on these and additional events of the weekend in the next issue of the ESSES.