Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: replacement of single dash speaker recommendations

replacement of single dash speaker recommendations

The single speaker mounted under the dash has lived a good life but nothing lasts forever (surprised it lasted this long). Can anyone recommend where to get a replacement the will bolt right in? Does it have to be model specific or will anything of about the same size easily fit?

Thanks

Chris

73 911 E

I just installed a 4x6 2-way from Boston Acoustics (model SE75, $50/pr). The fit in the dash opening was very good but obviously I couldn't use the original mounting holes. However the speaker plate's hole alignment was such I installed it with screws and inverted wing nuts, the wing nuts hooking under the turned edge of the dash opening to clamp it down securely. With the grill back on it looks and sounds good. A thin aluminum conversion plate might be a more elegant mount but I was afraid of the speaker sitting too high and fouling the grill. For stereo applications the unit from Woody's looks good.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by M_deJong; 02-22-2012 at 03:56 PM. Reason: added picture
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Looks like a geat speaker. What did you do with the other one? Want $25 for it?

Chris

why settle for mono speaker that doesen't fit...there are stereo replacement speakers ( in a single unit ) designed to replace the old mono 6x9 speakers... direct fit... for current sounds...there should be several choices...look on line for a source near you...

6x9 seems awefully big for under the dash, no? It seems more like a 4x9 to me....?

~J~
    air cooled only

Quote Originally Posted by cmcfaul View Post
    Looks like a geat speaker. What did you do with the other one? Want $25 for it?

Chris
    Sorry, I put the other one in my 914.

I believe the original is 4x10, weird size. If you have a mono radio, adding stereo speakers doesn't do much for you imho.

Original is 4" x 8" (230 x 110 cms)

http://www.koenigs-klassik-radios.de...2-911/a-31123/
    Last edited by mcampuzano; 02-22-2012 at 12:02 PM.

new radios / ipods / sound systems deliver music over two channels, the combo speaker allows for easier plug and play of new equipment with direct fit, if great sound quality was a priority, the center in dash location wouldn't even be considered... mono radio is for display, so it doesn't matter what it is hooked into
    Last edited by fromage; 02-22-2012 at 12:27 PM.

I guess some of us just aren't audiophiles! I added a picture above.

I also just put an ipod connection into the Frankfurt stereo in my 74, and it sounds amazing, even through the 38 year old Pioneer dual cone door speakers.

If you decide you want an O.E.M. style-size speaker here is a source. https://www.koenigs-klassik-radios.d...23-27-0-0-0-0/
    Its the real deal.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.