Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FS: NOS Genuine Porsche quart cans of paint - vintage colors

FS: NOS Genuine Porsche quart cans of paint - vintage colors

Unopened quart (liter?) cans of Glasso/Glassomax/Glasurit paint available in various colors (all the cans have the Glasurit name on the reverse side). The Glasso paint is Laquer and the Glassomax is Enamel. The paint is quite old, so obviously no guarantees, but if you shake the can, it is still liquid. That's about all I can say as to the usability of this paint. Pictured is Agablau, Vipergrun, Buschgrun & Bahiarot. If there's any interest in other colors or larger quantities of any 1 color, it's probably do-able. My source for this paint has *alot* of it. Let's start at $40 per quart + shipping.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 9seriesguy; 02-23-2012 at 08:09 AM.
    Glenn Sager
    1971 911S Coupe
    1978 911SC Targa
    1995 993 Coupe

I would go for Glasso #6405 if he has it.

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

I'm in for an 'agablau 6608' and a 'vipergruen 225'. please pm me any details. Don.

** lacquer preferred if possible ***
    Last edited by haycait911; 02-24-2012 at 11:10 AM.

I would like a can of 'hellgelb' which is light yellow and code 117-9-1 (062) 6262
    Last edited by orange911; 02-24-2012 at 10:31 AM.
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

Seasoned Veteran
    I would go for a 6405 glassomax enamel.

Champagne yellow
    Last edited by 21window; 02-23-2012 at 04:54 PM.

Are you positive about which is enamel and which is Laquer ? I believe (?..from a quick try at some research) BOTH you've pictured are Laquer (Glasso & Glassomax).....the keyword i think is auto'lack'. If so, I do not know why the two variations on name.

Do you have silver metalic 5706A or 5706B in either ?

Also, do you have clear to go with the 'Glasurit' ? (i'm assuming this is two stage acrylic enamel ?). What colors do you have of the Glasurit marked type ?

Thx much

Anyone know when the switch from lacquer to acrylic was made by Porsche ? (the first acrylic used was two stage ?)...as you can see i'm no history buff on P-car paint . Other than that by 1974 , I would believe acrylic two stage was used ....at least on metalic colors.

Not meant to be negative - but isn't this paint past its shelf life? I don't know if I would want to go through the effort of painting my car, only to find out months later that the paint failed. I would suggest to have this paint checked out first.

Hopefully I am totally of base here.

Thanks for the inquires & questions. Here's what I know and what I can try to do;

- the can's pictured are all I have in my possession. I will make the 40 min. trip to where the rest of the paint is in about 1-2 weeks. I will bring a list of all the requests and try to fill them as best I can. I don't know what all is there and I don't know if there is any clear.

- all the cans have the Glasurit logo on the back. The cans that are Glasso say "lacquer" in the fine print on the can where it talks about thinning/reducing. Same goes for the Glassomax but it specifically calls the paint "enamel". Neither mentions the need for a clear topcoat. Both say the result is a "glossy" finish.

- these cans of paint are very old; probably 15 - 25 years would be my guess and they are not being stored in the best of conditions. They are in a storage room, but it is not temperature controlled. When I go to pick cans, I will only check for 2 things; I will shake the can to make sure it is still liquid and I will check it for any signs of leakage.

Obviously, I would like to sell what I have in hand. Keep PM'ing or emailing requests and I will get back to everyone once I have made the trip.
    Glenn Sager
    1971 911S Coupe
    1978 911SC Targa
    1995 993 Coupe

Glenn,
    first - thank you for making this new old stock available to us.

It looks like this is Series 20.
    For series 20 or Series 21, Tom Tweed is still hosting some paint sample color cards here:
    http://members.rennlist.com/tweedt/glasurit.htm

Someplace on the web there was information or the BASF Glasurit site that talked about the thinner, solvents and reducers for these prior systems of paints.

I know a painter in Southern Minnesota who had access to years old stock and the paint did not diminish after years of shelf life in it's workability, finish or longevity. He was super enthused to use it. But, he still is old school.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Glen

I'm up for Irish Green for my 14-6 and a correct silver for my 67 912 which has a paint code of 97-96024-1. I believe the 97 is for a baked treatment. Gallon of each? Let me know availability.

Thanks

Gene Selger