Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Restored Gauges

My Restored Gauges

I'm sure you've all seen North Hollywood Speedo's work... Well here's some more

Some personal tweaks include șC temperature scale, and a 'backdated' speedometer for my 915 box. My clock is now quartz and the tacho reads a MSD signal to a 7200 redline
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Very very nice! I am considering doing something similar on my 72 911T with the kms and Celsius as we also use the metric scale in Canada. Plus I hate the fact that my clock is non-operational.

Look great. How long did it take North Hollywood Speedo to restore the guages?
    Robert

Looks really nice! I had my gauges redone a few months back by Hartmut @ Palo Alto Speedo. Also a stunning job that really cleaned up the cockpit.
    Turns out that Hartmut @ PA Speedo was named after Hartmut @ NH Speedo. Hartmut's father (the younger @ PA Speedo) was a long time friend of Hartmut (the elder @ NHS). Small world in the speedo biz eh?

Cheers
    Kent
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

prices

This would be a lot more interesting if you told us the price to get these gauges re-done
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike curnow View Post
    This would be a lot more interesting if you told us the price to get these gauges re-done
    Fair enough. Your cost will vary depending on the condition of the base units... Mine were 'old and crappy' - dirty, sticking needles, clock not working. My cost was $1290, but involved

Converting a later electronic speedo to look pre '73 including mounting studs to fit it into my '69 (no rubber grommets), I run a 915 box.
    New Tacho PCB with 7200 redline and MSD compatibiity
    Clock converted to quartz
    Converted temp gauge from sporto to 300 0C numerals (I like metric) plus sender.
    All new 'artwork' - dials reprinted and repainted needles
    All bezels replaced (no gouges or screwdriver marks )

Plus I had to freight them to and from the US.
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

As John said above, the cost really varies depending on what exactly you have done.
    Regular function check and clean (which includes repainting the needles) + a new outer bezel is something like $55-$60 per gauge.
    Now, if you have an issue with an instrument, the price goes up. I had a bad pot metal gear in my speedo... this cost $120 on top of the clean and bezel
    I needed to have a capacitor and diode replaced in my Tach... this cost $153 on top of the clean and bezel.
    My clock was already quartz converted (which actually started the whole cleaning frenzy. It made all of the other gauges look dirty)
    I didn't need to have any of the faces re-screened or cleaned, and I had Hartmut not clean the backs in order to maintain the ink date stamps and paper tags.
    All out the door, I paid $499
    Not bad as I needed up with gauges that look and function like new.

-Kent
    Last edited by kentf14; 03-02-2012 at 07:43 PM. Reason: typ-o & price correction
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

Your gauges look tremendous, factory fresh.

I have a small bird chirping in my speedo. It is appeased by a little oil, but the chirp returns. If I send it off and it comes back as nice as yours, of course I will be forced to send in the rest. What a dilema.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Rick, that was exactly my dilemma. I started out just wanting the electronic speedo sorted for my car; then I figured I'd get the redline sorted for my RS spec engine. Hartmut explained that the tacho would get a new face and may not match with the others. So I decided to have all done to match. Once they arrived at NHS the oil and temp were found to be sticking. So I just though I'd go with everything including the quartz clock...

The quote was the final price and I couldn't be happier with the work. It is a big hit to my resto budget, but bad gauges really stand out in a restored and reupholstered car!
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    Restoration Saga

Always nice to look at a set of restored gauges!

How much does North Hollywood Speedo's actually charge to fully rebuild gauges?
    - twinplugged - 1975 targa former Dutch police car