Thread: SWB Exterior Door Handles

SWB Exterior Door Handles

How many different types were there? When did they change?
    Thanks,
    Alex
    Early S Reg #1809

The first change was pretty subtle - just a bit beefier, and I think it was sometime in '66. the second change was '68 - a much larger unit, with guards above and below the button to prevent accidental triggering from impact or whatever.
    Last edited by hesaputz; 02-28-2012 at 05:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by naparsei View Post
    How many different types were there? When did they change?
    Thanks,
    Alex
    I think in the first 1.5 year of production there were 3 different similar looking handles.

- 901 handle
    - early 911 (MY 65?) handle (a little less round than the 901 handle, more elegant).

These have the same lock (I think, I have never compared them 1:1) which is concave

- later 911 (MY 66? till MY68?) handle

This handle is similar to early 911 (MY65?) but the difference is the convex lock.

BTW a convex lock won't fit a concave handle (unless you modify?)

My $.02

Richard

Four handles

early thin handle (I have never seen one)
    concave lock 65-66
    convex lock 67
    68 flying buttress (the buttress added because the feds were concerned about the doors popping open in a rollover, this carried to 69)
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by 304065 View Post
    Four handles

early thin handle (I have never seen one)
    concave lock 65-66
    convex lock 67
    68 flying buttress (the buttress added because the feds were concerned about the doors popping open in a rollover, this carried to 69)
    Thanks everyone. Does anyone have pictures of these? Obviously there was some parts left over, so the years aren't perfect, but this would really help.
    Early S Reg #1809

Are the actual concave lock door handles different from those with a convex lock? PET, of course, shows none of this, and I didn't know about it; guess I should compare my '65 with my '67.
    Sorry - I meant to say '65 on the first change. Like you, I've seen pics of these early thin handles, but never actually held one.
    Last edited by hesaputz; 02-28-2012 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hesaputz View Post
    Are the actual concave lock door handles different from those with a convex lock? PET, of course, shows none of this, and I didn't know about it; guess I should compare my '65 with my '67.
    Sorry - I meant to say '65 on the first change. Like you, I've seen pics of these early thin handles, but never actually held one.
    Inside they are different for sure. You can switch the locks from one handle to the other.

I will check if I still have the thin handle. I had one that is how I learned the difference.

Richard