Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 100L Steel fuel tank reproduction...

100L Steel fuel tank reproduction...

As many of you know, I built a steel replica tank for my old '67 911 and I had a bunch of people wanting to have another one made. Well, I got busy with other projects and forgot about it for a while. Earlier this year I met a new fabricator that does incredible work and claimed he could reproduce the tank exactly. So we took a mold of an original tank and started metal shaping. We are using original bottoms that have had the tops sectioned off, chemically stripped and are free of any corrosion. We are geared up to do both center fill and fender fill versions, however, I would recommend that a body shop line up and weld the filler tube if you are doing a "through the hood" version. We recycled the original flange for the sending unit but I am NOT interested in selling sending units with the tanks...there is someone selling those now for $350-400 IIRC. As far as sealing the tanks, that seems to be personal preference as well so I would rather offer them "unsealed"...thats how Porsche sold them.

I am NOT taking orders yet...but I have 5 more in production so orders are very realistic. I am just looking for input and ideas. Is there anything that you see that we missed? Any suggestions?

These tanks are 100% hand built with 18g cold rolled steel and lots of hours spent making them perfect so they won't come cheap but in all honesty, I would much rather have one of these than an original one because I know it is perfect, no internal corrosion and very strong for welding on center filler tubes etc... There are internal baffles that replicate the original ones.

I have already exhausted my supply of donor tank bottoms so I would need core tanks. Early tanks are preffered but I am also making two tanks from later SC style tanks in case anyone is running fuel injection and wants the high pressure fittings.

The first tank is already built and sold. You will see it featured in one of our forum project cars shortly

Feel free to ask questions and give me suggestions.

Chris

This was my first tank build but the ones we are doing now are much higher quality...bare steel doesn't lie!

'67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '73 911T Targa Signal Yellow
    '78 911SC backdate EFI 3.4 turbo
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    wait.. you said old 67.. you sold the grey one!?

btw, these tanks are awesome! not sure if i can afford or not, but looking forward to hearing the pricing points.
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

very nice !!
    John Gausden
    Auckland, New Zealand

(shipping carson,CA)
    Early911nz.org
    ST-Classic.com
    ST-Classic Facebook
    "Funding my obsession one nut at a time"

Very interested and have an early donor tank. When are you ramping up production?
    Thanks,
    50/50

Hi Harry, yes...I sold it about a year ago. It has found a good home and getting royally spoiled! Sad but it has made room for a few other cars I've wanted to build. Too busy to post pics on the web but I'll get around to them someday.

I'll keep this post updated with production announcements. As for now, I don't want my fabricator to get burned out. On. These things so we will probably make one a month or so.
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #

I have two early tanks that could be used as a part exchange (plus cash naturally) for one new 100L side fill tank. Please drop me a PM regarding your price point and let me know if you're interested.

Edit: And if it helps, I'm asking from one SWB do-it-yourselfer to another...

Cheers,
    Mike
    Last edited by ibmiked; 02-29-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: shameless SWB appeal

Gorgeous Chris! Mad respect to all you guys doing this stuff on your own and bringing it to us.
    _B
    Sent from a pay phone

888888 eL, Oph'eL'ia

Instagram: werk_crew
    www.werkcrew.com
    www.werkcrew.tumblr.com
    www.handofwinter.tumblr.com

All I know is that I really like my new tank! I looked high and low and Chris came through for me. I'll post pics soon of it in the car. It's really a work of art. I was almost thinking of leaving it in the bare metal it looks so good! That would be different.
    72S, 72T now ST

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by endo911rs View Post
    Hi Harry, yes...I sold it about a year ago. It has found a good home and getting royally spoiled! Sad but it has made room for a few other cars I've wanted to build. Too busy to post pics on the web but I'll get around to them someday.

I'll keep this post updated with production announcements. As for now, I don't want my fabricator to get burned out. On. These things so we will probably make one a month or so.
    wow.. that car was absolutely incredible and set the bar for me. really a big inspiration.

I was looking at your build pics again the other day. do you know what color the square weave carpet was? grey or charcoal?
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

I'm pretty sure it was charcoal.

I'll figure out where my price point is as soon as possible. The basic tank will be sold as pictured. We have the capability of doing the fender fill but we need another donor tank as the other 5 are destined for center fill...we already cut off the filler tubes. I would just buy the center fill parts from TRE so I would rather NOT be the middle man...same as the sending units.

I also can't get too many orders going at once. Again, we only plan on building one a month at most. So once I set a price, we can just start a list and go from there. We'll start off with a core tank as your deposit and then balance due upon completion.

Still just thinking out loud but at least this will finally be a reality!

Thanks for all the compliments!

Scott, can't wait to see pics of it sitting in the car!
    '67 911S
    '69 911S
    '70 911ST
    '11 Spyder
    Early S#1097, R-gruppe #