Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 911 to 912 conversion

Now the OP should tell us it's actually an early SWB 911S that he intends to convert to 912.... I'll hold the barf bags (and I own 2x912s which I like very much). Ditto on the non-economic sense of this conversion.

PS: if this is serious and not trolling, I have a 4 mounts 912 engine bar you can have, if you need one.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Quote Originally Posted by highlander709 View Post
    As a 912 guy, I was surprised to see the title 911 To 912 Conversion. Needless to say, Harry and I and a few others with both 911's and 912's in their collections can understand the question, if in fact it was the OP intended, but I am sure most others on this forum are scratching their heads and wondering what ren915 is thinking. Inquiring minds want to know.

Keith

BTW, if Magnus ever decides to add a 912 to his collection, we'll know the 912 has "arrived". What do you say Magnus - any plans?

I think he did in the past...(-:

As a long time 912 owner and rebuilder (4 engine's. last one still running (-; with 110 bph) I would not do it. What has been said allready.
    To make a car in good shape cost about the same for a 911 or 912. The downside is that the 912 does not have the same kind of value as the 911 after it is finished.

912 are underrated for sure.
    I can easily keep up with early 911T's and have better handling.

It's better to buy a 912, there are plenty enough I would say.

ps, if you are serious. I'm looking for an early 911S engine..I have a good 912 engine and a extra 3 piece case if needed. want to trade.... (-:
    Last edited by Joost Hermes; 03-06-2012 at 10:01 AM.
    1988 3.2 Carrera
    @joost_hermes

S Registry # 2292

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    If the owner is serious, i too have a 912 motor i can trade him. running out the gate. in fact i will straight up trade the engine, gear box and mounts for the 911 engine, gear box and mounts. we will both have to pay for shipping. if you're in the midwest that makes it easy. if not, i can help arrange shipping.
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

This car is a soft top targa without 6-cylinder engine. It's a "theft recovery car" I bought from the insurance company after it was recovered. No engine or trans. I'm looking for great gas milage and a more ballanced car. I already have the slightly tail heavy alternative with the more powerful jet-turbine smoothe engine. I'm partial to the one that vibrates and has low maintance. It's a car that has very little over steer and push. It just won't make the "bansaw" sound we all appreciate.

So if it is a SW targa then it is a 1967. What is the VIN & paint code shown on the paint badge on the left door hinge post? You already have a 912E?
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    not necessarly.. they made soft window targas in 67, 68 very very few in 69 and i believe special order purchases in early 70s (extremely rare)

your salvage swt 911 might be worth more than you think... and you could sell it for a running 912... maybe.. just throwing it out there.

unless you want a swt. they are rare and the bees knees.
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

It's better to buy a 912, there are plenty enough I would say.
    As I recall from my reading, the early 912 actually outsold the early 911, so it would be expected that there might be more 912's available, than 911's. There are enough folks that want to build a 911 and would rather make one from a "roller" that started life as a 911 rather than as a 912 to make a 911 roller worth that much more. Of course, as Harry mentions if it's softie and that's really what you want, then you're dealing with something more difficult to find as a 912. Best of luck and keep us up to date on your progress.

Keith
    My Garage:
    66 912 (Project)
    11 Mini Cooper S Hardtop (Daily Driver)
    10 Mazda CX9 AWD Grand Tour (Wife's Daily Driver)
    05 Nissan Titan LE 4x4 (Haulin & Towin)
    various "one design" sailboats / stinky hockey gear / workshop & tools
    912 Reg. #0025-C
    Early 911S Reg. #1979

A couple other thoughts that maybe haven't been addressed...

I normally stay out of these discussions, but having been down the 912-911 conversion route before...I'll add my 2 cents.
    First as a theft recovery vehicle, you likely have a salvage title on the chassis. That can be remedied, but some on the board will argue that getting a vehicle retitled in a different state and then back-titled to get the "salvage" issue off the title is a no no. Thus said, even though the car is an early softie, it is tainted vs a car without a salvage title. Perhaps the car has a clear title, and salvage isn't an issue...if so that's good news...and leads to my second point. If the title is clear, the car has value to someone wanting an early softie 911, who will likely try to find the missing engine, or a close numbered engine. My suggestion would be to find that person and sell him "the opportunity" to build the car back up. With the cash, find a decent early 912 targa, and buy a soft window conversion for it (freezing14) will help you out. Bingo...you get the purity of handling of the 912, you haven't had to jump through hoops to convert a 911-912, you get your light-weight softie afterall, and you passed the softie 911 on to someone who will save it as a 911. Everybody wins.

Sorry, that was more like 6 cents.

Speedo
    registry# 1283

Quote Originally Posted by speedo View Post
    I normally stay out of these discussions, but having been down the 912-911 conversion route before...I'll add my 2 cents.
    First as a theft recovery vehicle, you likely have a salvage title on the chassis. That can be remedied, but some on the board will argue that getting a vehicle retitled in a different state and then back-titled to get the "salvage" issue off the title is a no no. Thus said, even though the car is an early softie, it is tainted vs a car without a salvage title. Perhaps the car has a clear title, and salvage isn't an issue...if so that's good news...and leads to my second point. If the title is clear, the car has value to someone wanting an early softie 911, who will likely try to find the missing engine, or a close numbered engine. My suggestion would be to find that person and sell him "the opportunity" to build the car back up. With the cash, find a decent early 912 targa, and buy a soft window conversion for it (freezing14) will help you out. Bingo...you get the purity of handling of the 912, you haven't had to jump through hoops to convert a 911-912, you get your light-weight softie afterall, and you passed the softie 911 on to someone who will save it as a 911. Everybody wins.

Sorry, that was more like 6 cents.

Speedo
    Exactly. Lars, you should give me a call.
    Early S Reg #1809

Excellence magazine article May 2012 "SMART BUY"

May 2012 Excellence article by Aaron Jenkins 1966-68 912

"This four-cylinder Porsche looks just like the 911, but it handles better and costs less"

All thee more reason to convert