Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWB Ext Oil Cooler Fitment

SWB Ext Oil Cooler Fitment

Hello
    I am getting set to install 74-89 oem exterior hard oil
    Lines and a trombone cooler to a 66. I have the mounting brackets.
    Does anyone have pictures of an install? Any tips/advice? Do the lines need to be massaged
    To fit? I have the pan stripped and will be welding in mounting studs
    Thanks
    50/50

The SWB cars have a different shape to the fender joining panel, it has a bulge to it that that 72 and up don't have, therefore the SC oil lines don't fit well against the joining panel and although you can pull it forward a little, but then the form around the jack point is not centered. My solution was to cut a 90 from an old trombone cooler and with plumbing unions, sweat solder in the 90 to help make the corner and fit better against the joining panel.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

If you're interested in the 4 long & 2 short weld studs, I'll sell them to you for $25.

Thanks Gents
    Great info.
    Ed:
    How many mounting points did you have on the longitudal? Were they randomly placed? Did you use an externally mounted thermostst or an engine bay?
    Again thanks for your encyclopedic knowledge.
    Regards,
    50/50

I attached the lines at the usual three points along the rocker, same as what would be on a factory installed system, and basically in the same locations along the rocker. To hold the brackets I install 6mm weldnuts (don't like sheet metal screws) The thermostat is the 71 and earlier engine bay mounted unit. Let us know how this goes for you.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

This is a nice set up, you can't even tell the unions were used after it was painted. Were the SC lines not originally fastened with 6 mm sheet metal screws. The fasteners I have are definitely not machine threads.
    Olin - Member #1375
    ░▒▓█▀▄▀▄▀▄█▓▒░
    1972 911T

Original
    -117 Light Yellow -15x6 Fuchs (9120/M400) -S Appearance (M470) -5 Speed Transmission (9590)

Options added
    -Houndstooth Sport Seats (M409) -Rear sway bar (9228)
    -H4's -BTB Fog Lts (M429) -Amber TTG Driving Lts (9420/M432)
    -380mm Steering Wheel -Becker Mexico -Roof Mounted Luggage/Ski Rack (9503)
    -A/C (M559) -Rear Fog Lt (M571) -Rear Wiper (9290) -Wheel Trim (M426) -Footrest (9563)

Run a sheet metal screw into a rocker and you may be surprised "how thin" the metal is "or has become". I like Ed's idea or the rivet nut. Far better grip in either case.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Ed
    Super sanitary install.
    What did you use for the couplers? Did you tin solder, silver solder or braze them?
    Do you have any of the remains of the trombone that you would be willing to sell?
    Thanks again for the DIY pictorial. It is a huge help to have your experience "standing over my shoulder"
    Regards,
    50/50

The support locations are:
    1 between tank & thermostat
    • 415 mm forward from the rear fender brace, up 42mm from bottom of stamping

3 on the rocker (let the tubes dictate the vertical location)
    • 110 mm behind jack receiver transverse centerline

• 400 mm before jack receiver transverse centerline

• 800 mm before jack receiver transverse centerline

2 in the fender [for the Adel clamps] (only the first used in '86-'89)
    • 335 mm up from chassis pan bottom

• 100 mm from hex at tubing end

If you're looking to save money, make your own 911.207.302.00, by cutting rubber 2x40x75mm.

Here's the oil line view without Ed's elegant modification: