Thread: Fitting Ampliluxes

Fitting Ampliluxes

Calling all light experts.

I seem to be thick or similar. I have a LWB, in which I would like to swap out existing H-1s (which I will hope to find the appropriate home) for a pair of Marchal Ampliluxes.

Reading and re reading the material, with a bit of confusion between LWB and SWB.

Exactly, what parts are needed to mount these with a lens covering the Ampliluxes (not sugar scoop) in my LWB?

Thanks in advance. I would gladly mail a sixpack to whoever has this info if I could!

Gene

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    Easy peasy..

what you need are a set of early SWB lights. remove the sealed beam.

take the springs out here to remove the sealed beam bulb

after that the ampliluxes should be fitted into the assembly like a normal light (be it h4 sealed beam style or true sealed beam). just put the springs back in (wear safty glasses though, they like to hit you in the eye when removing and installing!)

Now.... to do this you cannot use an H4 assembly, or H1 assembly. the backs are different. You must use a SWB 911/912 assembly, OR a VW/356 Style Assembly (which wont look right).

If you want to do it the way the factory did, i recomend the early assemblies. they are a little harder to find in really good shape. not to turn this into a commercial, but I am currently in the process of restoring at least 6 sets of early headlights.

I am restoring several sets of these to like new. perfect correct chrome rings (not the 356 style with the wrong profile, but the real deal), fresh painted buckets, the works. They will be done in about a month if you can wait.

price point looks to be about 850 at the absolute max (still working out final details to keep costs down which would mean selling point could be lower.. shooting for 700-750 range). all you need to specify is US or European lenses (which of course you want the euro ones). again.. these are like brand new. the only other option to something this nice would be the nos ones on ebay for 1200. I do not have a source for NOS lenses so if you find them i cna install them, or i can install nice used ones.. or a set of new replicas (which have everything right but the lettering isnt raised).. you tell me how you want it and i'll do it,

for about 5-600 i can do a driver quality cosmetic restoration. so so chrome rings (not straightened out or replated, may have a small nick or ding, but still good). buckets and hardware will be stripped down and repainted, new adjustment bushings etc.

here is an example of my work. this is the cosmetic resto so very nice used rings:

this set was done with a white bucket (which isnt correct).. i am planning on doing my next batch in the correct light grey buckets that the cars originally came with. also these show the US lenses, and I can do a set with euro lenses at no extra cost. if you are doing amplilux you will want clear lenses -the ampliluxes themselves are already fluted.

Last edited by hoffman912; 03-08-2012 at 01:22 PM.
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

ONE last thing.. on the body of the car itself, the sugar scoops mount to tabs inside the headlight bucket. you will need to either a) grind the tabs off, or b) bend the tabs back in order for the early assemblies to fit.

Harry Hoffman

btw, do you already have the amplilux lights or are you looking for a set?
    Harry Hoffman

Thanks. I'm def interested in seeing a set of assemblies. When you are ready, please pm or email me. I have four sets of ampliluxes. Don't know how this happened. But it did. Two are brand new, one is used but close to perfect. Fourth set pretty road blasted.

I have a set do hella clear ...non fluted... Lenses to go with.

I was thinking of using set of sugar scoops to mount these. I have a few pictures of the almeras rally sc that looked cool. But I just can't expose the ampliluxes to the elements.

Thanks again.

Thanks again

No problem I will let you know when they are good to go. I am looking to do a really high quality piece. if you have a set of early lenses you want, then I'll work with em (saves me the trouble of tracking really good ones down!). The ST, RS, R, TR etc, used these early assemblies and lenses instead of sugar scoops with biodes (similar light to ampliluxes as im sure you already know), so this set up is very correct for the vintage. i think these privided better lighting than H1 or H4, hense the reason they used them and the early assemblies..

here is an ST with Amplilux

Harry Hoffman