Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A story to relate

A story to relate

I drove my '73 to pick up my son at Sunday school today. I parked on the street behind a brand new Audi R8. As i was getting out of my car the owner of the Audi came up and wanted to talk. He told me that he used to have an early 911 but when he married his "current" wife she asked him to sell it because she didn't find it comfortable. He then explained that since selling the car he has had a number of exotic sports cars but he it was the early 911 that he missed. He then asked if in the future we could trade cars for the day. I told him that I would of course take him up on that and we exchanged information.

Anyone else ever have an experience like this? I love my car, but today made me appreciate it just a little bit more.

-Dave
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Moral of the story: no matter how bad you think your wife is, she could be worse- she could make you seel your early 911! :eeK:
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Got a laugh out of the "current" wife comment. Interesting I never hear anyone say "my current 911". They just say "my 911". Funny how that works!

I would give the Audi guy a copy of James Browns " Its a Man's World" to play in his A8 CD player
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Got stopped in Asia in my slate gray / red leather 912 Targa all the time...

Some wanted to buy on the spot, so I announced ridiculous prices when asked.
    Most of the time this was enough to 'get out of the deal'.
    I got scared when one said he would call back.
    Still not sure I could have resist that amount of money... luckily he backed off.

Name:  912_Petronas.JPG
Views: 412
Size:  102.7 KB
    Slate Gray, Red Leather, 1968 912 HWT

Quote Originally Posted by popowitz View Post
    He then asked if in the future we could trade cars for the day. I told him that I would of course take him up on that and we exchanged information.
    I respectfully request that you GET YOUR HEAD CHECKED.
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

a few years ago was filling the car when a guy rolls in with a 2006 Aston Martin DB9 Volante. We talk cars and he shows me around his car with 3 complimentary colors of connolly leather which felt like no other. If buttery can describe leather... He asked if I had time to go for a ride - he was obviously very proud. So sure - it was a Saturday and I was in no hurry. So we head out the backroads and he drove in a less than spirited manner, but I was in awe by a car that took cars in general to a comletely different level. I am familiar with Benzes and BMWs but this car was heads and tails above in fit, finish, and pure luxury. After he drove about 5 miles he asked if I wanted to drive it back. Not wanting to insult, I accepted. He told me to not be shy about driving it hard so shy I wasn't. I opened it up on a narrow two laner and we were doing 85 and rapidly climbing when a sharp right hander was coming up. Downshifting to 3rd (he had a 5 or 6 speed) I slowed it down enough to just hang the tail out a little bit on the corner and throttle my way through it. Not only was he silent but the color had drained from his face. So I slowed it down and the color and words came back to him. He later remarked that he was impressed at how well the car corners. I was impressed how easily it throttle steered and was very glad I didn't put his pride and joy in a tree. When we got back to the gas station, I asked if he would like to try the 73 and could see he was still a bit flustered, and said that he really needed to get somewhere. We wished each other well. That was one hell of a nice ride for eating up tons of tarmac.
    Last edited by RickS; 03-13-2012 at 09:49 PM.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Mr9146 View Post
    I respectfully request that you GET YOUR HEAD CHECKED.
    Don't worry Marco if it happens I'll call you and we can take the R8 GT Spyder for a spirited drive along Mulholland Drive. Between the 5.2L 560 HP V10 and the grip of those big ass high performance tires it will be an afternoon to remember.
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Quote Originally Posted by popowitz View Post
    Between the 5.2L 560 HP V10 and the grip of those big ass high performance tires it will be an afternoon to remember.
    Visions of the Ferris Buellervalet pop into my head!
    Last edited by Bill Simmeth; 03-14-2012 at 05:19 AM. Reason: brain fart

My question is who would sell his 911 on the wife's request?