Thread: Another frustrating tire search thread...

Another frustrating tire search thread...

My car has 15" Fuch's --6's F and 7' R. It's set kinda low; with my current 205/60/15 BFG G Sports I have no rubbing at all. I have about a finger, maybe a tad more of clearance from the fender to the tire. My fender lips are also rolled nice and flat. I'm running low on tread, and I now read that BFG has discontinued one of the last remaining V rated 205/60/15 tire made. Tire Rack sells the Yoko AVS ES 100, and then there are some all-season tires. A couple of questions:

1) Anybody have the Yoko's? Like em or not?
    2) How do A/S tires perform/ride compared to summer tires?
    3) I don't really need a V rated tire, who am I kidding, right?
    4) Are there any other recommended tires in staggered sizes that will fit 6's and 7's, and still not rub? What sizes are close to stock so my gearing/speedo is pretty much unchanged?
    5) Why the hell doesn't Porsche persuade one of its OEM tire partners to make a decent 15 inch tire since they are now selling 15' wheels again???
    6) I also have a second set of wheels (6's & 7's) that I could put a "street" set on and a more agressive "track" tire on the other set, in which case I'm not as concerned with keeping the correct rolling diameter, so maybe 205/55's? I think there are more options.

My car never sees snow and rain only if I blow it and don't read the weather app. 95% street, but I'm not commuting when I drive, I'm looking for turns. Plenty of miles spent on the CA back roads and canyon runs. A few track days; maybe 1 or 2X at Willow Springs and a few AX days at Qualcomm or El Toro.

What are you all doing for rubber these days???

Thanks.

Nick
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Nick, I run Goodyear Eagle GT's 195 X 65 on 6 & 7 rims on both my 72 and my 67 and they are V rated. I've driven cross country on them and autocrossed on them. I think they are a very good all around compromise. You want V rated if possible, not because you will run 130 all day, but for their stiffer bead and sidewall construction.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Nick,

I run BFG 205-15 55's with 7inch front and 225-15 50's with 8inch rears. Drives like a go cart in corners. My guess with your stock quarters you could run the 205 55's in the rear? I'm sure you'll give up some comfort going from 60's to 50 series, right?
    Dave Pugh
    '73S #493
    RGRUPPE #627
    http://pughmedia.tumblr.com/

1) yes, and no.... Complaints are around them being noisy, but perform well
    2)More noise
    3) no, but they frequently perform better.. ex bridgestone
    4) 185/65 & 205/60 are the best for your app...195/65 & 205/60 have a minor height difference..
    5) there have always been 185/70s available and Porsche isn't in the playing well with others game..
    6)205/55 or 205/50...some others also..
    I would recommend Kumho, Eagle GT or find some BFGs that someone still has in stock.
    the potenza is a good H tire. My brother likes his AVS ES 100s but they seem to be drying up also
    JM.02
    H
    Last edited by Harvey Weidman; 03-17-2012 at 09:56 AM.

member #1515
    I ran AVS until I switched to 16's for the same problem. I think Ed's suggestion is the best and closest to what original sizing.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Thanks boys; I sure wish we all had more choices for our favored 15 inch wheels.
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Try the Yokos S drives in a 55. I have them on my 6s and 7s and they do an adequate job. Good grip in dry and adequate in wet. Tried the AVS and they were down right scary and returned them immediately. Still mourning the passing of my SO3s.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

Hello all,

I have been after a set of Yokohama AVS ES 100s in 205x55x15+225X50X15 IN L.A. area recently, but have been unable to find supplier in these sizes.
    Can anbody who has bought Yok's in these sizes recently advise supplier.

Peter Kaufmann
    '73 911E TARGA Rebuilt as 2.7 Carrera MFI
    '73 911t coupe rebuilt as 2.7 Carrera Webers
    04 Subaru WRX (not standard)