Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1971 Electric Fuel Pump

Smile 1971 Electric Fuel Pump

Is the electric fuel pump for 2.2 E much different than for 2.4 S ?

Any clues about availability?

Mine is mounted in the drivers rear wheel wellName:  911 Fuel Pump -02 IMGP4630.jpg
Views: 642
Size:  71.6 KB

That seemed pretty easy for a 1st post?

Should be the same pump - bosch 0 580 970 001. they're now available new from Porsche classic for $650 or so. I have a new one I don't need if you want one for a bit less.
    Last edited by hesaputz; 03-20-2012 at 09:13 AM.

Nice 1st post! You even managed to upload a picture successfully.
    Congrats and welcome to the board.

The 3 outlet electric pump is the same for all of the mechanical injection (MFI) cars. They are available, but aren't cheap.
    Porsche is offering a newly manufactured replacement pump Porsche PN (901-608-105-01) and it's about $670
    The typical online parts retailers (PartsHeaven, Autoatlanta etc) can offer an old original or a rebuilt one (rebuilt = $295 + $150 core) Some people have complained that the rebuilt pumps have a tendency to leak. I have no personal experience with this.
    A risky but possible cheaper bet would be to put in a WTB either on this forum or Pelican. I'm sure someone has one their willing to sell. Caveat: still may not be cheap, and probably won't have a warranty.
    Make sure that you get the Bosch pump marked on the back with PN (0 508 970 001). This was Bosch's PN and differs from the Porsche PN. There are other similar looking pumps out there so just be sure to check the PN on the back.

Good luck!

Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306

I have heard of using a SC pump for an MFI car. Has anyone had first hand experience with this retrofit?
    Thanks
    50/50

Thanks for the reply and the offer.

I have not given up on "'ol faithful".... cleaning/soaking/....

But, I'll be back if needed.

Thanks

My original one had worked flawlessly for nearly 40 years until one day the car started sputtering and finally died. Turns out the brushes on the motor had worn down a groove all the way through the commutator material and to the steel motor shaft. I am amazed how it kept running right up until the end. Anyway, mine was not rebuildable so I got a newly rebuilt one on the Pelican Parts classifieds. I think it had been rebuilt by Zimms. It does not leak, but I have heard the rebuilt ones are about 50% whether the O ring leaks or not. There are two parts- the pump part and the motor part and they go together and a seal to the can keeps the electric motor dry.

So, you could get the new $650 one, which is made in China, or get a rebuilt German one. If the O-ring does not leak right away then you are good to go for 40 years. So you could always try to get one that has been tested after rebuilding. My theory is that the O-ring might get pinched or something or else the sealing surface may become distorted or gouged during rebuilding. So if the rebuilder gets it right (and tests it) then everything should be fine.
    Last edited by Flieger; 03-21-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Quote Originally Posted by hesaputz View Post
    Should be the same pump - bosch 0 580 970 001. they're now available new from Porsche classic for $650 or so. I have a new one I don't need if you want one for a bit less.
    I paid $510.00 dollars for the new one from Porsche Classic. $650.00 is way high. That Porsche dealer is not giving a good price.
    72S, 72T now ST

Bought mine last month from Sunset Porsche for $485.

I think that's what I paid also. I knew it was way less than $650.00.
    72S, 72T now ST

MFI & SC pumps have totally different pressure ranges and are not compatible.
    Steve Weiner
    Rennsport Systems
    Portland Oregon
    E-mail: porsche@rennsportsystems.com
    http://www.rennsportsystems.com