Thread: 1973 911 parking lights

1973 911 parking lights

My 73 is an Italian car. When I pull the light switch to it's first position the headlights go on. I don't know if I have a problem with the switch or if this happens because it is a euro car and it is supposed to be that way. My U.S. cars are such that the first position on the pull switch is for parking and tailights and the second pull/position activates the headlights.

Any assistance is appreciated.
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445

What happens when you pull the switch to the second position? Do the headlights stay on? I would start by removing the switch and checking all the connections against a wiring schematic.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed- There is no difference between the first pull and the second one. The headlights stay on. I either have a worn switch, or this is how the switch functions for euro cars.

Does anyone know is this is the way the switch was meant to work on euro cars?

John.
    John

RGruppe member 445

John
    My Italian RS has first pull for sidelights and second pull for headlights with the appropriate light appearing on the dash clock, one green and one blue if I recall correctly. Twisting the switch is for the instrument rheostat.

Check to see if your parking light works right and left for the sidelights only using your turn signal lever.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

John

My French delivered 73S works just like Mike described above.

Nick
    Nick Psyllos
    S Reg & R Gruppe
    1973 Euro 911S
    1972 911T to ST

Also look at the fuse block to see if either the main beam wires are connected in the wrong terminal or if the main beam and parking light terminals have been jumpered to create this operation intentionally.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Quote Originally Posted by 210bhp View Post
    My Italian RS has first pull for sidelights and second pull for headlights with the appropriate light appearing on the dash clock, one green and one blue if I recall correctly. Twisting the switch is for the instrument rheostat.
    on mine (RoW swiss):

-first pull: sidelights rear/front, instruments lights, green light IS on.
    -second pull: headlights plus all of above, green light is NOT on.
    -pull lever for long distance lights: long distance lights, plus all of above, blue light IS on.
    Last edited by 911T1971; 03-22-2012 at 12:03 PM.
    Registry member No.773

A worn switch seems to be the problem. I found a good one on Ebay and will let you guys know the deal once I install it.
    John

RGruppe member 445

The part number on my current headlight switch is 911.613.0129.00. I have found on Ebay what is claimed to be the replacement and the number is 911.613.029.03.This has raised some questions I have had a hard time finding answers to. If anyone can help, here they are: Is the new switch the correct or same part with a new part number?, and is my current euro headlight switch different than U.S. switches?
    John

RGruppe member 445