Thread: A time-warp read.

Paid Member # 1991

A time-warp read.

The Internet is sometimes a wonderful thing. I was poking around for a copy of a Boy's Life magazine I read in my early teens that was instrumental in furthering my then budding interest in things automotive and after that, Porsche cars especially. It's not specific to 911's, but I think anyone who appreciates the marque will find it a fun, short read. To me, it was mesmerizing as I pictured myself driving the famous French race in the cars they described. Low and behold, Google Books has it digitally captured! A purist might quibble with some of the details, but it was "can't put it down" stuff for me at the time. The pics are pretty decent, also. Be sure to scroll up to the cover page

http://books.google.com/books?id=ZLl...epage&q&f=true

- MR
    Last edited by MountainRoads; 03-24-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Thanks MR, a fun read, and heady stuff for a young scout. It's not surprising that it was well written though, as Ken Purdy was one of the best in the 60s and 70s. Isn't it funny how an article you read over 40 years ago can spark an passion and stick in your mind all these years later. I know that there are articles from R&T, SCG, and C&D read the 60s and 70s that I can still remember, and photos that are seared into my brain.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Scope Creep Poster Child
    I remember that issue clear as day. It was never equaled!
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Clarke View Post
    I remember that issue clear as day. It was never equaled!
    +1 It was great to read that article again! Also fun to "flip" to the back and read some of the ads again, especially the one for the mini-bike kits!

Paid Member # 1991
    ++1 to all of the above. Stingray bikes, Estes rockets, great stories. All of that for 40 cents!

- MR

Yes -Estes rockets! The only problem in California was the rockets were not available. Arizona they were OK. So we would drive out to AZ to purchase the rockets. Our Hobby shop did have Jet X rocket fuel thouigh. They were pellets that were set off by Jet X fuses. So we would build our own rockets. Thsi was early 1960's Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue