Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Bought This "Barn Find" Any Thoughts On What It Is

Just Bought This "Barn Find" Any Thoughts On What It Is

Hey Guys,

New to this forum so go easy on me. Found this car today and purchased it. The guy parked in 1985 after his third ticket. His wife told him he had to sell his stuff to clean up their property. Its got some rust in back right floor panel and the right fender is pretty shot. I'm sure I'll find some more rust in her once I clean her out. Overall everything is there including the original radio.

The car was stored outside but covered. He told me he thought the car was an "S" model, but he knew about as much as I do. The VIN #'s match in the trunk and the door and indicate 911 - S 66

Does anyone know how to verify if this car was an "S" model or not? Any idea what its worth?

Thanks,

James
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Not an S. The S 66 on the tag has to do with the heating system or heat exchanger type. The value depends on how much rust it has and mechanical condition. I like all 67 911 models, the S only had 10hp more than the N before they changed the camshafts sometime in 67.
    Last edited by 66S; 03-31-2012 at 06:18 PM.

Looking forward to your story!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Welcome to our site! Looks to be a 911 Normal likely in Polo Red. Look on the drivers door jamb by the dash for a metal tag by the hinges for a number stamped 6602. Good luck. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Might Sell The Car

I'm going to get all the VIN# on Monday to verify the year model and if it is an "S" or not.

Does anybody want to take a look at buying the car? Honestly, I don't believe I have the skill nor the money to do the car justice.

I'm just outside of Atlanta.

James 706-878-0758

Quote Originally Posted by jamesehatcher View Post
    I'm going to get all the VIN# on Monday to verify the year model and if it is an "S" or not.

Does anybody want to take a look at buying the car? Honestly, I don't believe I have the skill nor the money to do the car justice.

I'm just outside of Atlanta.

James 706-878-0758
    Jake / James

By the pictures you posted here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie...php?id=1285429

Chances are small it's a S. Besides the alu plate missing the "S" behind the VIN doesn't it have all the right gauges and is it also lacking the alu trim in the interior.

My $.02

BTW are you the Jake Raby who builds those well known Type IV engines?

Richard

Nord Stern Region of PCA....west coast side of Region
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesehatcher View Post
    Hey Guys,

New to this forum so go easy on me. Found this car today and purchased it. The guy parked in 1985 after his third ticket. His wife told him he had to sell his stuff to clean up their property. Its got some rust in back right floor panel and the right fender is pretty shot. I'm sure I'll find some more rust in her once I clean her out. Overall everything is there including the original radio.

The car was stored outside but covered. He told me he thought the car was an "S" model, but he knew about as much as I do. The VIN #'s match in the trunk and the door and indicate 911 - S 66

Does anyone know how to verify if this car was an "S" model or not? Any idea what its worth?

Thanks,

James
    -67 car , salvageable ? yes, but mega money
    -well patinated
    -not an S
    -worth ??? Whatever someone can come up with to save it. Sad to see them left to rot in the weather like this, as everyday, more siver dollars trickle out the floorboards on the same path the rest of the metal is taking on returning to the earth it came from.
    It would have had a better chance inside out of humid weather, without the cover trapping moisture outside onto the body. Just sitting there roasting like a duck in a pressure cooker for 25 plus years. Death sentence.

-scary looking but able to be saved.
    -Deep pockets required
    Last edited by mrgreenjeans; 04-01-2012 at 08:52 PM. Reason: sp errors
    Best Regards,
    mrgreenjeans
    member # 1503

-'68 -912 Red
    -'74 -914-2.0 litre - Sunflower
    -'82/83 -944 -M404 - Guards Red
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Guards Red -Weissach Prep. -H52
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Zermatt Silver
    -'84 -944 -M404 - Sunroof Delete - Ruby Red
    -'85.2 - 944 -M456 -Zermatt / Sport Purposes
    -'86 -944 -R74 Spt.Touring Pkg - White/Burgandy
    -'88 -944 - Jubilee Ltd. Ed. -Satin Black Met/Grey Plaid
    -'88 -911 - Tourist Delivery -Venetian Blue
    -'89 -944 Turbo M030 - Satin Black Met.

It's going to get really expensive - real fast. I would just try to get it running and see what happens. This one is scary.

Richard Newton
    Newton's Laws

Yep, its the same Jake Raby that builds the massIVe type IV engines.

He's a good friend of mine and agreed to help sell it. We are going to clean it up and probably put it on Ebay if a buyer doesn't come along before then.