Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Californian honeymoon trip

Cool Californian honeymoon trip

Hi there!

Ever since I as a kid had the chance to visit SoCal for the first time to watch the AMA MX series at Glen Helen I´ve tried to come back as often as possible. Not just to watch MX and SX races but also for total recreation.

Last fall I once again enjoyed a great vacation, staying in LA and La Jolla down in San diego where I studied at UCSD. I had planned to propose to my girlfriend on the trip and I did just that (and she said yes)... What a perfect trip that was, once in a lifetime memory. I met some really nice people on the trip, visited John Benton in La Habra and he really added to the perfection with some Porsche-passion.

So we´re getting married this summer and one of the first things we started talking about was our honeymoon and we pretty much decided right away that we had "get back"

We are flying to LAX and are planning to rent a car (man I wish I could rent a early targa) and move up towards San Fran in the first couple of days and enjoy wine country then head back south down to La Jolla where we will stay a week or so and just relax.

Since im a little "california-holic" I´ve seen lots but Im sure you guy´s have tons of sweet spots and places you could recommend us to visit!?

Really thankful for every single input!
    Last edited by jesseandersson; 04-03-2012 at 02:33 AM.
    Porsche 935 DP1 Zirkelbach
    930/10
    Resale red

Porsche 911, 1971
    2.5L on Webers
    Silvermetallic

Loud lederhosen saves lives hoffman912's Avatar
    Santa Barbara, Solvang/Santa Maria wine country, big sur, monterey/carmel and wine country there, SFO, Muir Woods.. lots of good places in between that are honeymoon appropriate.

fwiw, we are planning a cali honeymoon and i am jumping for joy as I have finally talked Missy into staying at the Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo for one night. its the gawdiest, kitchiest hotel you have ever seen. I think we are going to try to do the caveman room :P anyways.. its one of those bucket list things to do, just to say we did it. that and admit it, how cool would it be to brag to your friends that you stayed in the caveman room? LOL

http://www.madonnainn.com/ and here you can check out pics of all the different theme rooms http://www.madonnainn.com/features.php
    Harry Hoffman
    1968 912 #3656, burgundy red 'Fritz'. Some mods..
    912 Registry charter member #912R0195-C
    Early 911S Registry Member #2070
    356 Registry Member #36691

http://hoffman912.blogspot.com/

Make sure you hit Cars and Coffee in Irvine on an early Saturday morning. Lots of great old cars including some cherry Porsches with unique SoCal flair. Very worth it.

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab

My two cents- California becomes way too crowded and full of concrete past Malibu. Stick to the coast from Malibu north and you can't really go wrong. SLO has awesome scenery, especially in the springtime. I know the canyon roads around Malibu better but there are at least a couple nice ones here. Try to drive Laguna Seca if you can.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Name:  283834_10150278032909236_751434235_7389396_3407076_n.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  49.6 KB

Nothing beats driving from LA to SF in an early Targa!!!
    Slate Gray, Red Leather, 1968 912 HWT

I couldn't disagree more with Fleiger about the interior -- I'm not going this year, but watch this space for the wonderful roads of the Targa California. The High Sierra passes of Martin Swig's Mille Autunno are also spectacular two-lane.

That being said, a run up the coast is a great honeymoon plan. I suggest a way-stop at Post Ranch or Ventana -- the naked-hippie-screenwriter opposites of the Madonna Inn. The Sierra Mar restaurant at Post Ranch is fabulous for food, drink, and views. Check out the Marin-Sonoma coast before going to the Napa Valley and consider stays at Pat Kuleto's revived Nick's Cove on Tomales Bay or Bill Harlan's Meadowood in Napa. All major splurges -- but it sounds like you're pulling out the stops...

I was born in San Diego, and have lived in California all my life.... 40+ years.... the list of things that are great to do, is endless....so I'm passionate about California... Here is a short list (from a long list) of things I like:
    South to North:- If you haven't been to the Hotel Del Coronado...that's awesome, and also "honeymoon appropriate" to keep you out of trouble..
    - My favorite mexican food lunch, El Indio... off of Sassafrass on the hill overlooking the San Diego airport. ..order taquitos with everything ..
    - Since you know La Jolla already, that's a great place... drinks at La Valencia...a favorite, and also honeymoon appropriate.
    - Brunch on the beach at Poseidon in Del Mar... another favorite.
    - North of Del Mar there are great beaches and scenery along the coast for driving.
    - You shouldn't be up at 6am on your honeymoon...but if you are, and you're in Orange County, then Saturday morning at Cars & Coffee Irvine is a must for a car-guy....but don't arrive after 8:15, or you've missed it.

- Yes...LA between Orange County and The Valley is concrete...but in the middle, there is a lot to do, depending on what you're into... Hollywood, Petersen Museum, drive Mulholland, Santa Monica shopping and lunch, Manhattan Beach, etc..
    ...if you just want to see Porsche stuff, then there is a ton of that too, as you probably already know, or have read.

- Tons of driving spots along Highway 1 going north... stay along the coast...central California and highway 5 may look like a faster drive on the map, but it's like driving through Kansas.
    (Paul from Autokennel put together a great twisty drive from Santa Barbara to Monterey, for Rennsport 4 that I went along on...it makes a 5 hour drive an 8 hour drive, but it's fun...if you want the course, let me know.)

- I lived in San Franciso for 3 years, and regularly took the drive across the golden-gate, up the Marin headlands, and up to Pt Reyes... it's a great drive.
    - While in San Francisco... I'd recommend staying at the Westin St Francis on Union Square... (I bet you can score a corporate rate..).. Be sure to have lunch on top of Macy's at The Cheesecake Factory overlooking Union Square...
    I hate the Giants (I said I'm from San Diego, right?)...but AT&T Park is nice, if you want to catch a game.
    - SF has a million shops and restaurants.... Union Street, Fillmore, Polk, etc...
    - Lots of good bay area drives, including Marin, as I mentioned...but also go south down the peninsula and drive along Skyline drive... it's the Bay Area's Mulholland....and the Peninsula is warmer than The City...remember Mark Twain "The coldest winter I ever had, was the summer I spent in San Francisco."-
    A couple of favorite car places in the bay area... Fantasy Junction in Emeryville... and Dawydiak's in the City.

Alright...that's enough from me....
    "Speed never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary...that's what get's you."

1973 Austin Mini
    1975 911S 3.2 "the blue goose"
    1973 911E sunroof 3.2

There was a place in SFO that rented sports cars, such as Miata's up to boxsters, starting at about $300 p/w, iirc.
    You'll have a blast. South of Santa Barbara, we stopped at fab fish taco shack ... Chuck was there, as was Chris Tallon, and Randy Wells ... they should know the joint.
    Cannery Row, in Monterey, I had a fab breakfast on the pier ...

North of SFO, stayed at Sea Ranch with my wife. Love that place. Drove crazy road over mountains into wine country, and back. Land of black pigs. Sea Ranch food was excellent, and room had glass wall looking out to ocean, with fireplace etc.

Can't go wrong wherever you go really.

Congrats and enjoy

Name:  RIMG0020.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  86.7 KB
    Karl: E911SR #792 ; RG #420 ; GS #7

'72T Coupe - Sepia Brown

There is one location in California that is a must-see in your targa with the roof off: Yosemite National Park. It just may be the most beautiful park in the nation and is breath takingly beautiful.
    Last edited by RickS; 04-03-2012 at 07:27 PM.
    71 914 3.0, 82 SC, ESR 376, RG 307

"The problem with the world is, the ignorant are cock-sure and the intelligent are full of doubt." Bertram Russell

------- you'll have blast... just rent one of those white convertible Mustangs.
    -There is a B/B place called the Sanitarium located in San Luis Obispo for a different experience.
    -Suggest also to visit a coastal town called Los Osos (google "dive bar" and you'll find a place called "The Merrimaker") Good for nostalgic laughs. While in Los Osos, see the town Morro Rock.
    -If in Solvang, you need to wine sip (see the film "sideways") and dine at a place called "The Hitching Post"
    -Hearst Castle... must see.
    -Yosemite .. must see
    -Big Sur... must see
    -Monterrey
    -SF/Berkeley
    -Napa ... very popular...
    -"The Birds" was filmed near Bodega Bay.
    -If you can get your way far past SF north .. check out the Benbow Inn, almost near Mt. Shasta. Then do the Giant Sequoias
    E911SR #2107
    69 911T/S SWT 3.2L
    RG #384