Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nervous about taking the plunge

Nervous about taking the plunge

Greetings all - new member here and I am considering taking the plunge on my first early 911 and have been looking at this car (it's not my first ever 911 - it just took me a while to come around on how pretty the early cars are). It has been previously posted in the 911 T's for sale section of this website by others.

This is obviously a pretty knowledgeble crowd here and I am seeking any comments/input/feedback on this car. Anything obviously wrong from the pix? Anything right? Is it a bargain, too expensive, just right? Any and all other comments welcome. Thanks in advance,

Seems to me the car is priced low, and when a car dealer prices a car on the low side of the market value, to me it means the car has needs....no close up photos of the susceptible parts of the floor and suspension pans, battery boxes, etc....and the color change would hide all kinds of evils....check the car carefully for shoddy repairs

A ppi should report all evils....be sure to do a compression and leak down test.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Body work looks suspect to me. Door/fender/rocker fit and shape look off, like the rockers and lower fenders may have a lot of bondo (or were just poorly fitted). Also no trim... so were the holes bondo'd or welded up? Lower left front bumper is bent - who paints over bent metal? Are the wheels real Fuchs?

Other than that a lot of details that could be easily improved on. I'd start by securing the cable to the missing right side battery!

I agree price is low which is scary in itself.

BTW, what are "reinforced seats L/R"?
    Last edited by M_deJong; 04-04-2012 at 07:12 AM.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

Since the dealer acknowledged they know, might be worth asking to be put into contact with the seller. He/she may be able to give you some insight as to what has been done one the car over the years. If they won't, I would be suspect of what is hiding.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Bring a magnet with you on this one! None of the light housings or front grills fit right in the panels. If you are considering PPI for sure with someone who knows these early cars mechanicals and bodywork. Car dealers do not not sell cars at a loss so you can imagine what they paid for it. Just my .02.
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

One other thought....I've bought a bunch of vintage cars over the years....

I've never been as pleased as buying a vintage car from a knowledgeable, known member of an online community like this board. In fact, the cars I've bought from earl S members have all been great.

The flip side, buying an inexpensive, under market value car from a collector car dealer is simply a recipe for disaster. Exceptions exist, but are incredibly rare.

How about you place a want ad on our forum, describing what you are looking for....
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

I agree with Lewis in today's internet marketplace it is very rare that a professional organization would underprice a vehicle. My impression is they know the car needs work and have priced it in. The rub here is their preception of repaired and a prescribed proper repair. Being a fire, ready, aim kind of guy; I would proceed cautiously. You are in the right place to find expert council on a purchase.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Quote Originally Posted by sonett43 View Post
    I've bought a bunch of vintage cars over the years....
    I've never been as pleased as buying a vintage car from a knowledgeable, known member of an online community like this board. In fact, the cars I've bought from earl S members have all been great.
    Even that is not a guarantee, sadly... (not to get into my issues, it's your post)

My big lesson is not to buy long distance, EVER, even if the pope himself endorses the car.

That red car looks odd, sits very high, no side trim and no holes, lowish price as mentioned above... At the very least if this is local to you, grab your magnet, go seek where it sticks, peek under it, check out the suspension pan, etc... As for PPIs, while nice in theory, I've had one done long distance once where the mechanic reported the car to be A-OK, pocketed my $200, yet when it got to me it had 3 VINs and was made from 2 cars spliced together. You can only trust you own eyes, and it's better if you bring a knowledgeable person along.
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Luke, PM'd you.
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Quote Originally Posted by Greg D. View Post
    Even that is not a guarantee, sadly... (not to get into my issues, it's your post)

My big lesson is not to buy long distance, EVER, even if the pope himself endorses the car.

That red car looks odd, sits very high, no side trim and no holes, lowish price as mentioned above... At the very least if this is local to you, grab your magnet, go seek where it sticks, peek under it, check out the suspension pan, etc... As for PPIs, while nice in theory, I've had one done long distance once where the mechanic reported the car to be A-OK, pocketed my $200, yet when it got to me it had 3 VINs and was made from 2 cars spliced together. You can only trust you own eyes, and it's better if you bring a knowledgeable person along.
    Ouch.........
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"