Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PPI of 73 911T on Long Island, NY

PPI of 73 911T on Long Island, NY

Does anyone have any recommendations for a PPI of a 73 911T on Long Island, in the Syosset area? I'm most interested in a careful inspection for rust, and a good mechanical review.

--Richard

You could start here: http://www.tkxperformance.com/
    Taso Ktenas is the Tech advisor for the local Porsche club. If the shop can't help you ask for his recommendation.
    Also you have http://www.lynmormotorsports.net/ and http://www.rudtnersracing.com/index2.php
    both have good reputations.
    One more would be http://www.autosportdesigns.com/
    Good luck, let me know how you make out.
    Rich

I would be careful putting AutoSport Designs onto such a car. They buy and sell these cars and may not be impartial. I have lived my whole life on Long Island and I would be happy to look over/photograph such a car for you if needed. For impartiality, try Porsche of Roslyn, the service manager Pete Troffa has been a Porsche mechanic since the 356s were new and he has worked on every single one of my Porsches for the last ten years. You'll pay for it, but the car will go up on a lift and the motor will get a compression test etc. Plus if you ever sell you've got a Porsche Certified Master Mechanic who gave the car a report card.

Good luck,
    Mike

Thanks guys. Someone else had recommended Peter Potzinger and I went with him.

--Richard

Olde Threade Alerte! . . .

Quote Originally Posted by rpc356 View Post
    . . . Thanks guys. Someone else had recommended Peter Potzinger and I went with him . . .
    So? . . .

. . . how'd the PPI turn out?

And what 'd ya think of Mr Potzinger?

We Can Be Heroes

Holy smokes Rick how do you choose which threads to ressurect ; )

Help ma they're gunna wash my car

Banned
    That's easy to figure out.

Apparently all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Reza View Post
    . . . Holy smokes Rick how do you choose which threads to ressurect ; ) . . .
    Well --- I love The Dance . . .

. . . the finding + sizing-up + deciding, then buying . . . maybe

It's the most frightening/exciting part of any car deal --- and almost nobody shares this stuff. Always kinda hoping someone 'll come back w/ some details . . .
    Last edited by LongRanger; 02-10-2015 at 07:09 AM.

We Can Be Heroes

So here's what happened. It was a cheap PPI, and you get what you pay for. It wasn't particularly thorough, and the feedback was via a very brief phonecall. But I really wanted the car -- it ticked a lot of boxes. Based on the PPI and the info from the dealer I flew from VA to NY to pick up the car and drive it home. The car wasn't quite up to the standards I'd been led to believe (by the dealer and - by omission - the guy who did the PPI). After some amount of negotiation, and waiting a *lot* of time for them to address some issues on the car, the deal was consummated and I left at 5pm from Long Island to drive back down to VA (that was a weekday in rushhour).

Well, I drove the car as far as MD before the headlights started going dim and I had to pull off the interstate and limp to a gas station. From there I got towed the remaining 80 miles home (thank god for the extended towing insurance!), arriving somewhat ignominiously on a rollback at 1am, lights flashing. Turned out the problem was the alternator dash bulb was out, meaning that probably after I stopped to eat the alternator was no longer charging.

Anyway, that's it in a nutshell.
    --Richard
    Early 911S Registry #2337

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by rpc356 View Post
    Anyway, that's it in a nutshell.
    ...and Richard has the car nicely dialed-in now. Had a blast riding shotgun with him recently.