Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Colors and Color Changes on early 911's

Colors and Color Changes on early 911's

Thanks all who responded to my first posting as I continue my hunt for my first early long nose car.

I have a question about how this knowledgeable group views a color change on these cars. There are a few cars are out there that claim to otherwise be very very nice but have had a color change (in more than one case the color change was to an original P-car color, so sellers say it's no big deal bc it's been done right and disclosed) from original. Other sellers ask a "color premium" for what they claim is an original "desirable color". (Is there really a heirarchy on color?)

So, is a color change no big deal, or is a deal breaker? Should I deduct the cost of a full-on repaint to put it back to original - whether it was originally a "desirable color" or not? Or walk away?

I know from my experience with my other Pcar that generally the Pcar crowd is somewhat tolerant of modifications, but how about a specific color and color changes on the long nose cars? Just general comments. I realize it all comes down to the specific car and most likely price and condition over rules color, but... maybe not?

Thanks in advance,

I believe there to be an originality premium/discount that applies to every aspect of a car, and that depends somewhat on the buyers desires. Originality has a higher premium when the car is of show quality. If the paint is a rare shade, then someone may put an additional premium on it. Generally, when selling, a vendor will place a premium on the car as the originality adds up. It is a major expense to change the color of the car if it is done right. Enough of an expense that it could be uneconomical to return to original.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

I agree somewhat with Dave.
    First, a color change can reduce the value of the car a lot for some, in fact they would not buy it. It can be a complicated discussion. Color changes are usually fine IF it's reflected in the purchase price. Let's assume it's a long hood, let's assume you want to car to enjoy but you also want the car to appreciate in value. Then the color change can hurt the car from 10-20% in what I see. I purchased a nice 1971 Targa, wrong clor but great buy....that's the bottom li be what you have in the car for future resell. I buy color changes but again it must be reduced over original color.

Now, original factory color never been painted and still looks good, that is a game changer, not many left on a 40 year old car...these bring top money regardless of color.

Porsche long hood people like all the rare colors, leaf green, olive, signal yellow, etc, they bring at least 10% more over std colors like black or red..

So yes, buy a car you like, color is important, but price trumps all....what is the price?
    Bill

1966 Polo Red 912
    1978 Ice Green 930 Coupe (under construction)
    1988 GP White 911 Coupe (White Knight) Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by wgwollet View Post
    ... but price trumps all....what is the price?
    I was looking at this one....

I would stay away from EBay for your first car the probability of walking into a pile of pooh increases exponentially and you really do not save any money. There are way too many nice cars out there for you to add the element of auction risk to the equation. As previously suggested to you state the car and price range and the peanut gallery will become a thousand eyes and assist you. This board is expert at finding what is for sale in all price ranges of cars. Start with enthusiast sites, develop trusted confidants on the site with whom you can discuss the car. You do not want to reveal a gem to the more mercenary of the group that hangs on these boards.

Color....
    Originality bares the highest premiums unless they have some sort of pedigree. As stated above this varies by the level of originality. Color is also a strong determinant of price and if you view your car as an investment, original color is a no compromise issue. Again, there are exceptions to the rule. Early cars are a fantastic blend of period color and bright work. The more distinct the more desirable; there are colors that are loved such as tangerine and colors that are less popular such as Sepia (which I love). My personal experience with my gulf blue hotrod is people are always asking me about it. My Ivory car garners less attention.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by Macroni; 04-08-2012 at 06:30 AM.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Quote Originally Posted by luke-44 View Post
    I was looking at this one....
    Hello,

It's a real shame the yellow car didn't have it's original interior as 9922 is classed as special interior but nobody know why,
    My car also is 9922, cheers lee

Banned
    Amen brother Raj. Just ask someone who color changed a 71 S coupe from 7474 Fecal Brown to 8080 Silver Metallic. I put my money where my mouth is.

Quote Originally Posted by leedurrant73 View Post
    Hello,

It's a real shame the yellow car didn't have it's original interior as 9922 is classed as special interior but nobody know why,
    My car also is 9922, cheers lee
    What exactly is a 9922 interior? Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by luke-44 View Post
    What exactly is a 9922 interior? Thanks,
    To be honest I do not know but it would relate the color & fabric I guess, been trying to find out but the factory don't have any reconds, your guess is as good as mine,
    All the best with what you decide to buy..

Lee

Just a comment,

That beautiful "sea green", or "seafoam green" (I've seen that car called by both color names) targa shown earlier.

Note that this car is a color change from Bahama yellow. Maybe at the time the car was done (many many years ago) that Bahama was not as desireable, but I doubt that anybody would do it these days. I guess it if were me, and the car was Ivory or Polo Red, I would seriously consider a color change (and I am considering it on a future car I'm going to restore).

E