Thread: Value of tool kit

Value of tool kit

I am looking at a SBW car for sale by original owner. Comes with owners manual and tool kit. What is the approx. value of the complete tool kit?

$1600.

Just bought one.

Louie,

Does the year matter, this is a 67 car?
    All my previous vintage porsches were 356 and an original tool kit was big bucks in the 356 world.

As most things, condition plays a important part in value. $1600 would get you a very nice tool kit, but I've seen "perfect" ones go for far more. The other thing that effects value of SWB bags is the material, an Elephant hide bag alone is worth $400, Early ribbed is also rare, basket weave is the most common. If the bag and tools are rusty, missing and beat up, then the price go's down considerably. Are you sure its complete? The Klein screw drivers are often missing, those are $250 each. Do you have a picture?
    Last edited by super9064; 04-07-2012 at 04:03 PM.
    Rob Abbott

In the 356 world there is also a big difference in toolkit prices... an A toolkit is far more money than a C/SC kit, and that's more money than a correct 63 B kit (which was the lowest level of 356 kits).

The SWB kit's can vary just like has been mentioned, from how complete the kit is, to the condition of the wrenches (and matching finishes), Klein drivers, is the "CORRECT" Messko in the bag? etc etc.

The prices of the most expensive 356 kits get driven by the rarity of the Hazet 450's and the Jorg drivers, the Klein drivers and the drop forged steel wrenches were available for more years. The SWB kits are more comparable to the C/SC kits. The best of a SWB kit, will probably be a hair less money than a comparable C/SC kit.

E

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    In the 356 world there is also a big difference in toolkit prices... an A toolkit is far more money than a C/SC kit, and that's more money than a correct 63 B kit (which was the lowest level of 356 kits). The SWB kit's can vary just like has been mentioned, from how complete the kit is, to the condition of the wrenches (and matching finishes), Klein drivers, is the "CORRECT" Messko in the bag? etc etc. The prices of the most expensive 356 kits get driven by the rarity of the Hazet 450's and the Jorg drivers, the Klein drivers and the drop forged steel wrenches were available for more years. The SWB kits are more comparable to the C/SC kits. The best of a SWB kit, will probably be a hair less money than a comparable C/SC kit. E
    Here's a complete and original 67 kit I'm selling for $1,900.00. Bob Lee San Diego, Ca
    Last edited by bob lee; 04-08-2012 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by laneranch View Post
    I am looking at a SBW car for sale by original owner. Comes with owners manual and tool kit. What is the approx. value of the complete tool kit?
    Are you buying the car for the tool kit?

I know of a guy who bought a complete A coupe incl. toolkit for the value of the toolkit.

Richard

I am not looking to buy the car for the tool kit. I am a long time 356 owner ( 3 cars over 40 year period) and just sold my 1960 cab to upgrade to a vintage 911. Am looking to buy my first 911 and have found 1 owner SWB car. It just happens to come with owners manual and tool kit and is relatively unmolested which seem somewhat rare for the older cars. Incidently, the 356 Registry is a treasure trove of information from enthusiasic owners of 356 Porsches and this site seems to me to be the vintage 911 equivalent. When i buy a car i will probably become a frequent reader and poster.