Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paint opinions

Paint opinions

Having my 73 E painted. The car is stock cosmetically, numbers matching, owned since 74 and will be door pockets and slightly cracked dash from nearly mint condition.

I am deviating from stock paint to modern paint (Guards Red and two coats of clear). Am I making a mistake by going with this paint? It will look way better than stock, last longer, etc. But won't be stock.

Having second thoughts about the modern paint.

Opinions appreciated.

Chris

73 911 E MFI

Sometimes clear coat paint jobs can look too shiney. Also what is the risk of the clear coat checking? I painted my car with single stage and am very happy. I wonder if you body shop is directing you because clear coating is the way they paint cars? Thats my .02 Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

what is clear coat checking?

The painter is a long time PCA member and has painted hundreds of cars so the option is up to me. Can a car be too shiny?

Will the car value be adversely affected?

Thanks again,

Chris

Chris,

People who value 73Es don't do it because of the shiny paint-- they do it because the car is original. If you were to "personalize" it with period accessories, twin-plug motor, etc., those are all "reversible" mods to a future buyer who can put things back. It's MUCH harder to put back non-original paint to original.

I qualify my opinion by reminding you that I have spent seven years pursuing originality on my own SWB.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Single coat is the way to go, that way you can fix stone chips at home, you just need to give them a good coat of wax every now and then to give you the same look JMO

Scope Creep Poster Child
    Is this a color change?
    Early S Registry 1047
    ’15 VW GTI
    '70 911E, Sold

'56 Cliff May Prefab

I recently had to make the choice between original-style single stage paint and a more modern 2 stage job. I chose Glasurit single stage and am very, very pleased with the results.
    Cheers!

Frank Kohnen
    Jupiter, FL USA
    Registry Member #921
    1972 Bahia Red 911 Coupe #9112100390..."Rudy" SOLD
    1967 Savannah Beige VW Beetle Sedan #117364457..."Heidi"...aka "Tinker Toy"

I would go with single stage since you are repainting the entire car

two stage is easier to blend if you were just doing an area repair
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

Even though I am a relative "newbie" from what I have gained on this board this would be how you would evaluate your decision:
    1) To retain best resale value: Paint it in the original color (single stage) no matter what that color is.
    2) Next best is to paint it in single stage in any early 911 color you feel is more desirable.
    3) Not sure there is a 3rd. option.
    Hope that helps. JMO!
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Never paint a long hood red, let alone Guards Red. Unless its a long hood red that is original. Of course Guards Red is a much later color. You never said what the original color was. But everything is true about clear coats. Also, just as important is that red is the least desireable color in resell value in the long hood world and you want it red.

But who cares, it's your car, but you asked about car value, and original colors ALWAYS, trump any other conversation when it applies to value or re-sell. Not only for Porsches but for all cars, a color change is a game changer for most.

Are you just asking this to get people excited or did you know the answer already?
    Bill

1966 Polo Red 912
    1978 Ice Green 930 Coupe (under construction)
    1988 GP White 911 Coupe (White Knight) Daily Driver