Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Calling all Sportoholics

Banned

Calling all Sportoholics

The thought crossed my mind to host a get together for all of you shiftless individuals at the Mitty or one of the other vintage racing venues this year but then realized that there's a very real danger that one of you could fall asleep at the wheel on your way to the event. In the meantime I'm looking for a show of hands as to the number of upper crust Saxomats are out there. It's time to come out of the closet and be brave regarding your trans-gender orientation.
    It's not that I'm putting a bounty on you or accumulating a list of cars for the head moderator of the Sportoholic Anonymous 12-Stepper contingent to purchase (That would be Raj in case you didn't get the memo). And it's definitely not that I'm looking for a fortress of like-minded folks around me when I announce that I'm coming out. Not even close Raj and KJ! All this talk of late has me very curious as to whether there is a market for reproducing some of the rubber parts that have been obsolete for a while.

Who would have guessed I would be willing to help with this? Maybe it's my need to help those less fortunate or possibly that one day I could be in a Sportomatic state myself.

Hopefully this post will dredge up some interest. Roll call please.

Not being a Sporto-owner, -luster or in any closet of any sort (that I am aware) the only thing I have to add is: I hope I am lucky enough to meet Frank in person one day. What a hoot!

Wolf and the Chicken Coop thing

Yo Don Franko,
    Something tells me your setin us up................OK i'm in!!

Mitty sounds good to me...should I bring a roll bar in case you wanna go for Pinks?

KJ

If the tour comes by Cincinnati, I will join the parade.

John
    73 S with Sporto

Banned
    Sounds cool John, I'll be sure to have plenty of servo diaphragms on hand.

Kevin, your suspicion wounds my spirit. Just because my daughters are fans of your son doesn't give you the right to hurt me.
    As I was driving to the shop yesterday I saw a FL lic plate and assumed that the elderly gentleman at the helm was probably suffering from Alzheimers and was lost (why else would someone from FL be in AZ?) and thought: "I need to reach out to people like Raj and Kevin and see if I can help them". That was the impetus for my noble gesture of offering Sporto parts.

Pinks? All of my cars come through Mexico. We don't need no stinkin pinks.

Sporto road service'esss

OK Mr Beck,

Just for your Daughters (how old should I tell my son they are??) I will back off on the Wolf thing!

Will you offer up some road service for whoever will be "trying" to get to Atlanta (Road Atlanta), the Key word here is "Trying". When is the last time you heard of someone driving a Sporto-matic across the country? I know mine runs now but I wouldn't trust it for 5 of the 10 hour drive....so I will haul it there and take it out in Braslelton and pretend that I drove from Florida.

Bring lots of parts.
    KJ

PS Hey I heard you offered a bunch of Dough for the Pastel Blue 911 "T"

As the young folks say:

Name:  3t08.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  57.4 KB

If it helps I have a spare vacuum servo diaphragm that has a small tear in it, not successfully repaired. It was sent to me in the hopes I could find something similar in truck brake diaphragms that could be trimmed to fit.

A year or so ago I had contacted someone who had the servo diaphragms reproduced for Mercedes-Benz Hydraks (also a Fichtel & Sachs product). It's possible that could be a lead I could revive.

Name:  mb_hydrak_diagram.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  141.7 KB
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

Banned
    Torn diaphragms can lead to surprises. Here's how it works: You're out on a little Sunday tour with the Mrs (12 years your junior btw- being a summer camp counselor has it's bennys) in the Slushomatic, you stop at the BP for a pee (3rd time in 5 hours) and a hit of Flomax. You're ready to leave and you gently touch the shift lever and you hear an awful grinding noise, it won't go into gear; the servo isn't allowing the throwout lever to release the pressure plate. You're stuck until morning because Bubba's Towing and Bait closed at 6pm. You end up spending the night at the Motel 6 next door after a romantic dinner at Carl's Jr... The lesson: Make sure those diaphrgms have no holes in them.

Servo diaphrgms and the large rubber, formed vacume manifold hose are the two most needed items I would think?

Kevin, are you really going on an Easter Egg hunt?

Mitty? As long as they break down on I-40 between AZ and Braselton, road service will be available.

>Sptt!< OK Frank, you owe me a keyboard for post #9! See you at the Mitty... repop gummi parts will cement your position as most appreciated Sporto troll ever, whether you like it or not.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT

Banned
    "Most appreciated Sporto troll ever": I'm beaming right now! Some kids grow up wanting to be firemen, policemen, Bill Gates... I had other aspirations.

Survey hasn't run its course yet but this was my suspicion: Lots of noise... I mean passion, from a very small minority. I would rather tool up for the sport seat donut.

Russ, are you racing something new or same car? (BTW: Ran across your "Notch" thread: Awesome hotrod. Subtle KS paint scheme. Maybe get to see it at one of the FL events?)
    Your old #55 '68 911 is not very happy right now: All dressed up and ready for the party but new owner here in Scottsdale simply doesn't have time to race. Maybe Road America in July...