Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My latest find...

Red face My latest find...

Well, you never know what's on your doorstep, even when you live in a small town.

When I bought my house about 6 1/2 years ago, I was told that there was a Porsche in a garage nearby. But nobody could (or would) tell me any more. Six months later, someone said the same, but added 'it's bright green...'. Well, I managed to find out a bit more and learned that the owner had emigrated, leaving the car in his mother-in-law's garage. But that was it...

Two or three years ago, I was introduced to a woman who it turns out was the wife of the owner. She had come back to the UK to visit her mother and wondered if I was interested in seeing the car. So I get to squeeze into the garage, which is absolutely full with junk, all over and around the car which itself was jammed tight into a corner. I could only see enough to learn it was a 1973 Targa in Viper Green, and judging from the gauges, probably a 'T'. I said I'd be interested, but I never heard anything more...until three weeks ago when I got a message saying that the mother was selling her house and was I still interested!

To cut a long story short, I agreed a deal (I paid the asking price) and the car is now mine. I should be able to extract it from its resting place tomorrow. Oh, the car has sat in the garage for 19 years!!!! The paintwork is a bit scabby, there's some evidence of repair but it's an original engine 2.4 T in what has to be the most desirable '70s colour of all (well, in my opinion!). The brakes were comletely seized, so I had to hammer out the pads, but it now rolls.
    This is what I found:

It goes to show, you never know what's on your doorstep – and never give up hope!
    Cornwall
    UK

Nice find....patience is a virtue and usually pays off in the end….beautiful color as well.
    Best of luck.
    Kevin

– no, in my mind, all 911s should be left-hand drive. After all, that's the way Butzi designed them, right?

It looks pretty good so far but I guess any Targa is likely to have some rust where you don't really want it. Having said that, I've managed to look at the floors, back and front, which are solid and rot-free. The kidney bowls look good, too – I even managed to jack the car up using the original jack and jacking points without any sign of sag (or the sound of crumbling metal!). The plan is to 'recommission' it, looking the way it does and just drive it. Restoration is over-rated, you know!
    Cornwall
    UK

A true "barn" find.
    Congrats!
    Steve

does this mean the 912-6 is going to take a backseat now ? Or can you expense this one to the magazine ? ;-)
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Sadly, the days of me ever being able to cost anything like this to a magazine have long gone!

The 912-6 went to my friend's body shop yesterday to have the rot/damage taken care of. The plan is now to take a little more time with it, rather than try to turn it round quickly. Two cats, old house, food on table etc will have to head the list!
    Cornwall
    UK

NIce find Keith ! Good luck with it.
    Registry Member #1869

Gotta love stories like that! Congrats.

Another story for the Esses!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Great find! So do you think the engine is original given the lack of yellow shroud and MFI? Looks like a fun project for sure. Now if only I could dig one of these garage finds up in Nor-Cal.
    Can't wait so see more pics.

-Kent
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306