Thread: Very specific tire questions

Very specific tire questions

I have a 1970E - the car has a front oil cooler with SC era lines running through the rear wheel well. I'm looking to pick up a set of deep 6s for the front and 7R weld ups for the rear. I'd like to maintain a good vintage look, but also get that slightly more muscular staggered stance. The question is what are the right combination of wheel sizes and spacers to achieve this. Again I'm wanting to strike a balance here not just max out the amount of rubber on the road. I currently have 205/60 on all corners with flat 6s and the look is not bad, but it is a little ballooned. If I could achieve something that is both slightly staggered and more "original" looking than 205/60 all around that would be ideal! Is it possible?

Also bonus points for wheel combinations available in "V" speed ratings and that are available in the US and during this decade....

196/65 & 205/60 ??

195/65 & 215/60 ??

Love to hear thoughts on this - and yes I know that there have been many posts regarding wheels/tires. I think I've narrowed the discussion down to something that I have not found answers to. If I missed good posts addressing this specifically - my apologies.

Let the games begin!

Best,

Alex

Maybe not the answer you're looking for as the smaller size is HR-rated but my choice would be:

185/70 (F) & 216/60 (R) Avon CR6ZZ

If you can't find them easily in the US, Harvey W has a special deal with Longstone Tyres here in the UK & can get them within a week.
    Andy

Early 911S Reg #753
    R Gruppe #105

We have put on 185/65 with 206/60 and the tire bulge is the same.
    Also on LWBs we have put on 195/65 and 215/60 to get similar bulge.
    I would use no larger than 15mm on the rear and 17mm on the front for spacers.
    You may have to rotate your cooler line and sometimes dimple the inner fender where the line rests to get the clearance.
    Andy is right about the cool looking vintage Avons. Just depends on the look that you want.
    my .02
    H

Harvey, I know it isn't ideal, but have you tried a 215/60 on a deep 6? In particular the Avon?

It seems a way to get the staggered look without going to 7Rs. Pics would be good, if you have some, to show how the sidewall ends up.

cheers
    Jeff Eelkema
    69E (project)
    S Reg #1431
    Aust TYP 901 #132

Jeff,
    No I haven't tried a 215/60 on a 6. They are the look the best on a 8 and a little pinched on a 7. I would imagine a 6 would be a little tight.
    H

No I haven't tried a 215/60 on a 6.
    I had them on a '71E I had briefly...
    They were mounted on the rear on deep 6's....
    Although I never drove the car, it rolled easy, and were the last tires mounted...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Thanks for the responses so far - its helpful! Does anyone have nice pictures of 195/65 of deep sixes up front and 215/60 on 7Rs in the rear? I'd love to see what that looks like from the side and from the rear.

Thanks again,

Best,

Alex