Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bahama Yellow...

Bahama Yellow...

The tired old question of color change keeps bubbling up... So the question is, on a long hood 911, i know a color change can be costly, both in terms of cash needed to do it right so there is no obvious evidence of the change, and in terms of market value. True?

What if a car's original color were a "polarizing" color, one that starkly divides the lovers from the haters, leaving few, if any, in between? Colors like sepia brown, metallic gold, aubergine, etc. come to mind. Do such colors diminish the value of the cars they cover from the start? In other words, would it be a case of no harm, no foul to change the color on one of these because their value was hurt by the factory color anyway?

On a color like gold metallic, what if the color were changed to a color like Bahama Yellow? That color seem quite similar (on a computer screen anyway) to gold metallic, so I imagine evidence of a color change would be minimal if at all. I think Bahama Yellow, although similar to gold, is quite nice. What is your opinion of Bahama Yellow? Would that be preferable to gold?

What is the general opinion of the metallic gold color on long hood 911 cars? Mine is metallic gold and if I can scrape up a few dollars, I may have it repainted. I love the car, which is all original in terms of its equipment, trim, interior (original sport seats), engine and transmission, with a freshly and professionally rebuilt engine; however, the color doesn't thrill me at all. I am really finicky about originality and never permanently modify cars, but this is a case where I am not sure what to do.

I'd really appreciate opinions about Bahama Yellow, gold metallic, and a color change form the latter to the former, color changes in general vis-a-vis "market value", and anything else that I should think about.

I know it's about what makes me happy, but I am not sure at all what would be in this case. By the way, I have no intention of selling this car in the foreseeable future, so this would be a really long-term decision. In case I am ever forced to sell it, though, I want to make sure I don't shoot myself in the foot in the present. What say you?

Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by M491 View Post
    I am really finicky about originality
    If a true statement, I think you'd always have that voice in the back of your head berating you for changing the color. Especially as it sounds as though it might be original paint?

Aside from that, if you want to show the car, leave it alone. Otherwise, if you just want to enjoy the car and use it as intended (drive it), and you can't stand Metallic Gold, paint it whatever color makes you happy.

M

I can't really comment on value and how it would relate to this color change as I don't really know. I can tell you that I love both Bahama Yellow and Gold Metalic. I prefer Signal Yellow to Bahama as it is a bit 'cleaner', ... but now a days Gold Metalic trumps them both for me! A fews years ago I would not have said this. If I was in the market now I would specifically be looking for Gold Metallic. I just has that period retro vibe about it and she really pops!

All the best,

Photo taken from 'the bird' (beautiful shot)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Tom
    Early 911S Reg #544

I just purchased a very nice Irish Green 1973 Targa, and I love the color. My dad had one just like it when I has a kid. The car was originally Gold metallic, and I sure wish it still was. As much as I like the Green I think the Gold is fantastic. I also think that one of these rare colors adds significantly to the value of the car $5-10K IMHO.

PS: I really think I got the car at a discount because of the color change.
    Last edited by super9064; 04-18-2012 at 02:43 PM.
    Rob Abbott

Yes, I'm aware that everyone has their own preferences in colors but... that gold just made me throw up a little bit in my mouth. The Bahama Yellow is a great color.

Quote Originally Posted by TKO View Post
    M

I can't really comment on value and how it would relate to this color change as I don't really know. I can tell you that I love both Bahama Yellow and Gold Metalic. I prefer Signal Yellow to Bahama as it is a bit 'cleaner', ... but now a days Gold Metalic trumps them both for me! A fews years ago I would not have said this. If I was in the market now I would specifically be looking for Gold Metallic. I just has that period retro vibe about it and she really pops!

All the best,

Photo taken from 'the bird' (beautiful shot)

Quote Originally Posted by CaryPhotography View Post
    Yes, I'm aware that everyone has their own preferences in colors but... that gold just made me throw up a little bit in my mouth. The Bahama Yellow is a great color.
    Huh ??? I'm not sure that comment has validity being that it is prejudiced by your physiological state of mind. That being said : Ive seen the "Gold" car pictured in this thread, and it's f**kin' stunning !
    [FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]
    Curt Autenrieth
    S Registry # 152

Porsches:
    1.6L 2.7L
    1.8L 3.0L
    2.0L 3.2L
    2.2L 3.4L h20 cooled
    2.4L 3.6L air & h20 cooled
    3.8L

Colors are all individual taste, as soon as you change from sepia to green (or whatever) some day when you go to sell it the prospective buyer will say, "man, I woulda bought it if it was sepia" The point is, you just never know what the future will be. You got two choices, leave it original or paint it the way you want. Flip a coin.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Nord Stern Region of PCA....west coast side of Region
    Gotta say......... Bill and TKO, I am with you guys on this one.

I have learned to live with alot of "less" than desirable colors on cars, just because I will not desecrate the car and change it to suit what I feel like at that moment. For me, its all about originality, not what's happening at the moment. And, the earned patina.

Give it time, think it thru and learn to be happy with what a guy's got.
    Life could be a whole lot worse, and not include any 911 at all.......or for that matter, any Porsche at all.

Then again, it IS your car, and do what makes you happy. I'm not gonna give you crap about it, but I sure do appreciate patina and originality more today as I have matured, instead of wanting to burn it all down and make it something else.
    Thinking the 3 - O's here.........Only Original Once.
    Or EPP : Earned Patina , Priceless.

Then again I may still feel the sway of influence from watching the German guy put suicide doors on Justin Bieber's CTS-V last night on Velocity channel, take an NOS car and peel the white leather interior out, the metallic maroon paint off, and thoroughly desecrate a car that GM did a pretty nice job on from the factory.
    And after the vandalizing was accomplished, the flat black paint applied, high fives were given and another s**t-mobile was born. Assanti wheels to the rescue, boom box in back and the boy has become a man, The MAN in his mind.

Excuse me while I evacuate my bowels in his direction.........
    Best Regards,
    mrgreenjeans
    member # 1503

-'68 -912 Red
    -'74 -914-2.0 litre - Sunflower
    -'82/83 -944 -M404 - Guards Red
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Guards Red -Weissach Prep. -H52
    -'84 -944 -M456 - Zermatt Silver
    -'84 -944 -M404 - Sunroof Delete - Ruby Red
    -'85.2 - 944 -M456 -Zermatt / Sport Purposes
    -'86 -944 -R74 Spt.Touring Pkg - White/Burgandy
    -'88 -944 - Jubilee Ltd. Ed. -Satin Black Met/Grey Plaid
    -'88 -911 - Tourist Delivery -Venetian Blue
    -'89 -944 Turbo M030 - Satin Black Met.

I think colors are influenced by trends; look at the 356s. 20 years ago every car out there was resale red, the guys with an original sahara beige (aka dirt) or dolphin gray car had a hard time selling. Now they are 'the sh*t'. The rarer the original color, the better it is, even the REALLY ugly ones. I spoke to a guy specifically looking for a togo brown car!

In the long run, my instincts would say to keep it original color - it will grow on you - but it is your car, do with it what you want

~J~
    air cooled only

indecision can be hard. commit.

Help ma they're gunna wash my car