Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mixing

Mixing

Mixing gas is a hassle so I stopped doing it years ago but my cars run so much better on 93+ so just the other day I purchased two 5 gal cans of 100 octane to mix with the pump gas to give me around 93 octane. I tell you, different cars, the BMW with MFI is like a new car smooth and peppy, the Porsche is transformed. How many out there mix gas?
    Richard
    70T 3.2 Max Moritz GP White
    74 BMW 2002tii Inca
    54 Ford F100 Two Tone

Quote Originally Posted by kissov356 View Post
    Mixing gas is a hassle so I stopped doing it years ago but my cars run so much better on 93+ so just the other day I purchased two 5 gal cans of 100 octane to mix with the pump gas to give me around 93 octane. I tell you, different cars, the BMW with MFI is like a new car smooth and peppy, the Porsche is transformed. How many out there mix gas?
    From time to time I grab a half tank of 100 at the pump. You can feel when it hits the motor...
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Low lead AV Gas is good if the car is going to sit. It has a very long shelf life. Can't pump it straight into the car BUT you can fill Jerry Jugs. AV Gas is little cheaper but not much.

Sunoco 260GT 100 no lead is about $550 for 55 gallons. 110 Leaded is $520.00 for 55 gallons.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I bought 2 5 gallon cans of F&L Xteme 100 for $59.00 a can plus tax at a local place. Its addicting the increase in performance, the cost, can one put a price on love?
    Richard
    70T 3.2 Max Moritz GP White
    74 BMW 2002tii Inca
    54 Ford F100 Two Tone

Wowie!

Your "love making" is expensive! $12/gallon???

The last VP 110 I bought was about $9/gallon.
    It was leaded.

I'd try bike shops that build race engines.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Sunoco 260GT 100 octane unleaded is about $550 for 55 gallons. The 110 leaded is about $520 for 55 gallons.

I can buy either locally.

http://www.racegas.com/fuelfinder

Low lead AV Gas is another option but you cannot pump it directly into your car. The FBO might allow it into an antique but I'd bring jugs. It has a very stable shelf life and is good for long term storage.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I don't see how increasing octane will have any noticable effect on performance if detonation was not an issue beforehand. To make use of the octane for more power one needs to retard the timing at least. If there are no other changes made the fuel should burn pretty much the same and the amount of energy will be the same.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

Could always move to Australia where all stations sell 91,95 & 98.
    Dirk Janek
    1970 911T 3.0/915

Actually I believe one needs to advance the timing with higher octane fuel. The higher rating means the fuel will burn more slowly, so one needs to compensate by advancing the timing.

johnt

The higher octane means it is more stable and can be compressed more before self-igniting. By the other logic you would want lower octane so that you can retard the timing for more power, just like twin plug. But people do the opposite.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425