Thread: electric ?: press brake pedal = LHS brake & RHS headlight ON, & RHS rear cluster OFF

electric ?: press brake pedal = LHS brake & RHS headlight ON, & RHS rear cluster OFF

hi
    Would appreciate some advice. 1970 911T
    A short (stupidity - forgot to disconnect the battery when fiddling) means:

when i press the brake pedal
    - LHS brake light goes on
    - RHS front dipped (parking) headlight goes on
    - RHS brake lights stays off

(and if i have the lights on and then press the brake:
    - LHS brake light goes on
    - RHS front dipped headlight goes on
    - RHS brake lights stays off
    - and RHS rear light cluster GOES OFF)

Lights, indicators, and everything else works ... no issues

I've checked:
    - fuses ... all seems ok - though fuse 6 in the second block is "on" when the brake goes on
    - earths ... seem ok
    - brake switch at the pedal goes on/off as expected

I am assuming that i've got a crossed connection FROM the brake switch ... and it must move the power from the RHS rear lights (if on), TO the front parking lights. Is this true ?

To fix if i can't find the break - would it be to take off the wires at the brake pedal switch (black with brown dashes) and put new wires onto this pedal switch through the tunnel and to the clusters (RHS only i guess) ?. I don't think i'd need to touch the front wiring, as it is only when the brake pedal is applied that the front is affected ?? Or any other thoughts ?

Many thanks Paul
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

# 2991
    I would check your right brake light bulb.
    I think it's a dual filament bulb. Sounds to me like the short is in the tail/ brake light bulb.
    Also check the ground (earth) connection for the rear right lamp assembly.

Weird electrical problems often happen for a reason. I assume this all worked correctly at one time, so what has been done since then? Car painted? body shop reassemble? It's amazing what body shops can screw up. Have you been doing anything electrical? Changing out parts?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ladies and gentlemen
    We are lucky enough to have genius' (genii ?) amongst us ..
    JrBennett - you are 100% correct. Bulb "looks" fine ... but is the fault. All working correctly with new bulb !
    Edmayo ... I was trying to dismantle the dash surround incorrectly ... am re-trimming with the basket-weave ... and touched something
    ... and whilst i feel an idiot ... i'm a much more relaxed idiot now !
    Many many thanks !
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)