Thread: 1970 steering rack question

1970 steering rack question

I have been helping friend who is restoring a 70T every nut and bolt. He has the steering rack out of the car and noticed when moving (steering) the rack from side to side that there is a distinct notch in the middle. Its tight and not loose. I felt it tonight and believe this is by design. Can anyone verify this? Or could he have an issue the rack and pinion assembly.
    Please let me know so I can help him start putting the rack and front end together.

Thanks.
    Peter

Peter , I have my rack out of the car - 70 S Targa mine is smooth and constant all across the rack and all the way back

whats the best way to test when out of car?

There should not be any notchiness. Its pretty easy to dissassemble the R&P if the unit is out of the car, it is a very simple unit.

I would take it apart and examine the rack and pinion gear teeth for wear. Also look at the bearings on the pinion shaft as they wear out. There is a standard bearing size that replaces these but I don't have the info here. Also the bushings at the end of the housing wear and allow lateral play in the rack.

You might be able to get ride of a little notchiness by changing the relative position of the pinion and rack on reassembly so you get different teeth engaging at the center point.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

seems like I have a glitch in the middle of rack.. it feels like there is a notch.. is this normal? That seems to be in the dead center position..