Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Searching for Early 911 NSW Registration LD 911

Searching for Early 911 NSW Registration LD 911

An extended family member had an early 70's or late 60's 911 in NSW as a company car back then. Recently in conversation we were talking cars and I took him for a drive in my mid year. It reminded him so much of his and i thought I would see if anyone knows this car.

It was registered in NSW, plate was LD 911, a blue Targa I believe no other details known

Cheers
    Shane

If it was a long hood car it could only have been a 1973 car in Australia (assuming a left hand drive car would not have been converted and used as a company car even assuming it could be imported back then for road use which i doubt) as targas were only made in RHD from 1973 and the only official imports of longhoods were in 1973.

If it was one of these, and not a big bumper car, it could only be one of 3 as there were only 3 blue targas imported in 1973. Indeed there were only 37 targas delivered in 1973, 11 T's, 20 E's and 6 S's. So small bumper / longhood Australian delivered RHD targas are a very rare breed
    one was a sporto T in oxford blue
    the second was a sporto E in gemini metallic blue
    and the last was (again) a sporto E in medium blue metallic

it is surprising there was not even one manual car in blue but of the 37 cars imported only 18 were manuals, 6 T's 12 E's and 4 S's

unfortunately although i have the vin number for each car i dont have any current records on them nor information on which may have been delivered in NSW

i dont know if you can search to see if a car is still registered in NSW if you know the Vin but if you can and you want to i can provide the 3 vins
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Hugh let me know the 3 vins of those cars and I will check from this end to see if we have any rego's on file.
    Alex Webster

1967 911S Sunroof - RHD
    1969 911E - LHD - Historic Racecar
    1975 911 Carrera 2.7 MFI - RHD - Historic Racecar

My historic racing videos - www.youtube.com/aewebster

I'll have a look in dad's albums - but it could take a while Alex.

Was the friend of yours active in the club (PCNSW) at all. If they were, a rough period would help.

I know some friends of mine had a 2.4 Targa in blue ... which i was fortunate enough to drive in the early to mid 90's ... it was a manual 2.4E if memory serves me correctly. I recall it went like stink!

Blue 73 targa's are the new black...
    Cheers, Ryan

Founder and chief centre cap remover at : ZOLLHAUS / Design driven custom PORSCHE : https://zoll.haus

Indeed they are Ryan... overlooked gems.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Webster View Post
    Hugh let me know the 3 vins of those cars and I will check from this end to see if we have any rego's on file.
    alex

thanks

PM sent
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by reedminor View Post
    I'll have a look in dad's albums - but it could take a while Alex.

Was the friend of yours active in the club (PCNSW) at all. If they were, a rough period would help.

I know some friends of mine had a 2.4 Targa in blue ... which i was fortunate enough to drive in the early to mid 90's ... it was a manual 2.4E if memory serves me correctly. I recall it went like stink!
    justin

if it was a manual 2.4 it was probably a sporto converted, (or later import)
    it is amazing how many of the sportos got converted to 5 speed
    they are like hens teeth now - maybe ryan can start collecting them - probably easy to corner the market in aust delivered sportos that are still sportos than in Blue targas
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Thanks everyone for your input, Hugh, i'll try and confirm it was 73, certainly sounds about the right time. Family member has been away for a while but i will check what else i can find.

Reedminor, let us know if you find anything. Thanks again.

Cheers
    Shane
    75 Sporto

Ryan you forgot to support Shane with his Sporto!

Nice work gents, I suspect w will have a the current owner in about 2.13days !
    Andrew B (Tiger)
    911 69E Historic Production Race Car