Thread: So I am jonesing for another project...

So I am jonesing for another project...

It is a little premature as my current project is not back from paint (n'uther story)...but my cars go together pretty quickly once paint is done...and everything else is pretty much done. So I have a couple leads on some "deviations" from my norm which tend to be mostly longhood restorations. I will first preface this by saying both of these are replicas, but also highlight that these are top notch replicas...tube frame, not VW chassis. I am looking at both a 550 and an RSK where the frames are complete as is suspension/brakes etc and the cars are rollers. Both need drivetrain, interior, electronics,plumbimg (fuel and oil) and finish. In so far as the drivetrain is concerned, I would probably go with a built 912, or a type IV four cam lookalike...and probably the same 914 era trannies. While I tend to like the simplicity of the 550...they are more common, the RSK is less popular, and for me more alluring. Both cars would be street cars with maybe a day or two at the track. Resale potential will obviously be dependent on the finish quality and end result...and completely difficult to predict. I do not plan to build to resale. Has anyone had experience with either of these cars in a replica format that cares to weigh in? Thoughts...guidance...opinions? You guys are usually pretty good with opinions..

Speedo
    registry# 1283

Lars, I suggest you buy both, and make me a sweet deal on your Convertible D and your 71 Softie to free up room.

My problem with the 550 replica I drove was the seating position was too high - I felt on was "on" the car, not "in" the car. For most people, I'd say buy the one that's in better shape, but since you are some kind of fab-o-master, I would suggest getting whichever tugs hardest on your soul.

Alex
    Early S Reg #1809

Check out a company that goses by Thunder Ranch out in Cali. I have looked at their product in person and I thinlk it's quality is first rate. I think the 550 with the option for a six would be a Killer. And they do a 718 for diffrent.
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

Thunder Ranch..and others

I am familiar with their kits...didn't they merge with Beck a while back? The kits I am looking at are on a par with their products...but from my inspection, up a notch or two in quality. Hard for me to make the six arguement in these cars with the able-bodied fours that are poppingup these days...either hot 912s, type IVs, or even Polos. I have seen a couple sweet IVs that were running dual dizzies and has the fan shroud that looked like a 4-cam engine...nice package. Anybody know where those are from...sourced?
    registry# 1283

Rsk

I like the RSK, the Thunder Ranch product looks like it is made very well, they were at Hershey last week. However they are using the 550 dashboard instead of the RSK dash. What company are you looking at on the RSK?

Mike Curnow
    Mike