Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CL vin only

CL vin only

NOT MINE!!! but Look at this wanted ad lol .

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv...979849380.html

Hi Gentleman

I am looking for Porsche 911 VIN# and title for my project car.
    I only need VIN# and title doesn't need rolling chassis and any other parts.
    Please contact me if you have junk Porsche 911 you don't need any more.
    I want to start make my project car.
    Thank you for your time hope you will have and contact me soon.
    My contact email me and call or text me
    310-800-0930
    J. K

Is that even legal?

Hey maybe we will see list for sale on here once he is done with the rebuild....:-P

aka "Hey I have this stolen car with no paperwork and I need a vin and a title to make it official' - not entirely legal in my book.

~J~
    air cooled only

At the risk of being presumptuous I would have to be very cautious on this deal. 1966 thru 1973 Porsche cars are very hot property these days, no pun intended.

NO, its not legal to just do a vin swap. But it can be kind of a gray area since one could argue that it was not the vin that was swapped, but the rest of the car was swapped around it, and technically that could be legal.

Quote Originally Posted by j911brick View Post
    NO, its not legal to just do a vin swap. But it can be kind of a gray area since one could argue that it was not the vin that was swapped, but the rest of the car was swapped around it, and technically that could be legal.
    Man that is text book circular logic. Have you been smoking?

Quote Originally Posted by Rennman View Post
    Man that is text book circular logic. Have you been smoking?
    I don't make the laws. You can't replace the VIN, but you can repair or replace any other part with no limits. There is no distinction as to how much of a car can be replaced and still be considered the original car. In fact there was a recent court case involving an old racing Bentley where this was the issue.

I've wondered about this too. as a bodyman, I've seen a lot of things done to repair a car. follow with me for a moment.

we have a car. say, a '67 S targa.

gets hit hard in the rear. another rear end is sectioned on, welded thru the floor.

later, same car is hit hard in the front. a donor front end is sectioned on, welded thru the floor.

what is the car now? the original vin? which would need to be welded into the front trunk. or the donor car? if so, which one?

I did an insurance claim a few years ago on a brand new ford pickup that rolled. replaced the frame, complete cab, four doors, box, fenders and hood. legally, it's the same truck. but nothing other than drivetrain, interior and tailgate were the same.