Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shift coupler bushing question

Shift coupler bushing question

I have some lateral play in the coupler bushing. I need to replace it. It's at a point where it is difficult to get all three planes cleanly. What is your experience with the oblong, round, or aftermarket products like the wevo? I have a 901 transmission and both a 901 and 85/86 915 short shift with a seine shifter. I can get the 901 to work but can only get 2 out of 3 planes with the 915 shifter.
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 04-27-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Anyone? Somebody must have had some experiences with different shift coupler bushings.

Stomski or Wevo. Pick your poison. It's not hard so breath easy.

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ter+adjustment

Good luck!

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by cmpski View Post
    I have some lateral play in the coupler bushing. I need to replace it. It's at a point where it is difficult to get all three planes cleanly. What is your experience with the oblong, round, or aftermarket products like the wevo? I have a 901 transmission and both a 901 and 85/86 915 short shift with a seine shifter. I can get the 901 to work but can only get 2 out of 3 planes with the 915 shifter.
    Have you also checked the shift rod support bushing under the shift lever. We always just use the round replacement bushings for the coupler, although even with the oblong ones you'll hardly notice the difference. If you're not getting all the side planes either you've overlooked a bushing, or your adjustment procedure is wrong.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

The 2 bushings in the front, shift rod and the one in the front of the tunnel are brand new. When I called the guys at Wevo they said they have seen hair line cracks in shift rods by the shifter sometimes that open and close depending on how much lateral pressure is put on the shift rod. I'll have to look into that. I spent a couple hours playing with the coupler to line up the 915 short shift/Seine. I tried about every position I could think of. There isn't much lateral movement in the shifter so I could only get 2 1/2 planes. I put the 901 back on and in 5 minutes with the coupler ajusted I was down the road. Thats when I noticed the lateral play in the coupler bushing. I can move the 901 shifter quite a bit more lateraly to pick up all three planes. The Seine is much more priecise and appears to need a tighter coupler bushing then the 901.

I don't think that the debate about shift couplers will ever end but they are interesting.

If you start at the gear lever end the bush that fits into the shift rod head needs to be free to move and not sticking.

The coupler on the other end of the shift rod is also prone to wear and I don't think that the standard bushes are very good.

There is a small amount of axial clearance in the standard bush and this is to allow the engine and box to shunt back and forth slightly without moving the stick.

If you remove this clearance you will feel some movement but it isn't dramatic.

The Belden or Apex Stlye UJs that are used to replace this coupling are expensive and I am not convinced that they are needed.

The coupler only needs on degree of articulation as the ball joint at the other end allows the fore and aft and the rotation.

We made Delrin inserts that we fit to the coupler and these result in a positive location and take out all the play.

We have also made Delrin inserts for the shift rod head and the support bush.

They all work without being greased and improve the shift feel.

901's are an acquired taste. New bushings, new couplings on a stock shifter make a world of difference but it will feel as direct as the linkage on a good old American V8. Too many mechanical losses unless you are willing to go full "RACE" and listen to the music associated with the harmonics coming through the shifter and chassis. Do that and you can bang, bang, bang to your heart's content!

Here is a start:
    http://www.tarett.com/items/911-seri...g50-detail.htm

Anybody put a G50 in a SWB car??? Hah!

Here is a great start!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I had a 914-6 in the early 80's and got used to the shifter. The nose cone being on the other end makes the 901 shifter in this car fine for me. I've put about 5000 miles on this car. My wife and others haven't driven this car yet as it's been a 2 year build project. As I've put a chunck of money into a POLO engine in this car I am hoping the 915/Seine will give others a little protection from a missed shift. If I miss a shift oh well, but if someone else does it, I know they would feel terrible.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    I have experienced trans noise, transmitted thru the '0' clearance coupler that went away with the oval bushings installed. Gordon

Have you also looked at replacing the set screws for the front and back ends of the shift rod? On mine, it made a pretty big difference. Pelican carries them and they have a neat nylon dot in the middle of the threads to keep it tight.