Thread: mystery

mystery

have replaced my steering wheel on my 1969 RS clone. Pulled the old wheel off, but did not have the right socket to take the hub off, so it sat for a week with no steering wheel. The horn circuit no in contact with anything, or so I thought. New wheel on, key in, no power at all. Waiting for a jump start, but can someone let me know if there is some cause, beyond inadvertently leaving the horn circuit (no horn sound obviously) in contact with ground, for no power? Does the circuit need to be closed? Mystery.

Thanks in advance for whatever advice comes my way

My Inspiration

'86 44 Turbo, black/red,7's and 8's fuchs, autothority - sold (rocketship)
    '97 Boxster, first delivered in DC Metro, silver/red -sold (huge mistake to buy this one)
    '99 C2, silver/black, RoW M030, limited lip, short shift - sold (good ride, but...)

'69 912, 3.2 with all the trimmings
    (finally got air cooled)
    Early 911S Registry Member 2044

Got the jump start, car ran fine. Let it run for 10 min, shut it off, tried to start again, nothing, I mean nada. Got a charger and have had it on charge for 8 hours. Again, nothing. I need some help. All I did was to pull the steering wheel. With the car running, I got the horn to work through of all things pushing the horn button. That suggests that I have the circuit correct. The battery is an optima like, just not an actual optima battery. Is it possible to have pulled it down so far that it will not recharge?

My Inspiration

'97 Boxster, first delivered in DC Metro, silver/red -sold (huge mistake to buy this one)
    '99 C2, silver/black, RoW M030, limited lip, short shift - sold (good ride, but...)

(finally got air cooled)

Start with the obvious, get the battery checked voltage and load. If you don't have the tools go to your local friendly Pep Boys, or auto parts store of your choice.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Sounds like a coincidence to me....dead batteries happen, but there's not much that pulling our steering wheel off cold make kill your battery
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

took the battery to get checked, 1.7v no cranking amps. New Odessey battery. The shop is trying to charge now. Seems there is a relationship between removing the steering wheel and the battery discharging. I am hopeful that by putting the steering wheel on I have obviated any discharge going forward. Hope they can charge the battery, since i have checked and Batteries Plus sells them but north of $200.

My Inspiration

(finally got air cooled)