Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWB Undercoat Removal woes...

SWB Undercoat Removal woes...

Well, at long last I have joined the fraternity of early Porsche owners whose only criteria for membership is to remove the undercoating, in this case on a '67S. I researched and tried some of the various methods, and have found the greatest success with the torch and scraper method. UGH! At least I can easily move it outside. It is definitely a gritty, asphalt-like material with a very tenacious grip after 45 years. I have just one full-day available before rolling it off to the media blaster, then on to the painter. Doubtful. Brian
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Restoration newbie.
    Someone on Pelican Parts recommended using a multi function tool:

Name:  Screen Shot 2012-04-30 at 3.39.42 PM.png
Views: 373
Size:  58.1 KB

I intend to try one when doing this job.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Really hot heat gun( Snap-On's Blue point one is the hotest I have found) and a scrapper werk the best. The last LWB car I stripped the schutz off took about 2 days. Have fun turn up the radio and enjoy the smoke
    Bill Barnich
    R Gruppe Nr.230
    Early S Nr.960
    71 911T/2.7 Tangarine
    73 911?/3.6 work in progress

I have the Wurth version of this. I've seen all the other ideas like a vibratory cutter/scraper (using a Fein tool). Fein makes a great carpentry tool that I own and love but wouldn't use on a car.

http://image.snapon.com/internationa...pt280thuga.pdf
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I have read and heard that heat and scraper are the only tools that work on that SWB stuff. The harder and more brittle undercoating on a LWB car is better removed by that multifunction tool that Harbor Freight sells (like the Bosch one pictured).
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Quote Originally Posted by t6dpilot View Post
    I have read and heard that heat and scraper are the only tools that work on that SWB stuff. The harder and more brittle undercoating on a LWB car is better removed by that multifunction tool that Harbor Freight sells (like the Bosch one pictured).
    Yes, I bought the Harbor Freight tool.....not so useful on the early stuff. Freddie Hernandez reccomends a Snap-On 'wire-wheel' "crud cutter", but no stock, and I only have this week to tackle the job. Flame on!!!
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullit View Post
    Yes, I bought the Harbor Freight tool.....not so useful on the early stuff. Freddie Hernandez reccomends a Snap-On 'wire-wheel' "crud cutter", but no stock, and I only have this week to tackle the job. Flame on!!!
    Good luck! Keep a fire extinguisher handy! FWIW; The "crud cutter" will take the hide off of an Elephant.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

There appear to be two options: hot smelly, gooey with a fire hazard bonus using some form of heat.....or a dusty mess using a 12000RPM right angle grinder with a coarse wire cup. This second method was described by noted 356 restorer, Harvey Smith in a series of articles in Excellence several years ago. I used it on my '67S after trying the heat mess. With heat you still have a lot of gooey film residual. With "the wheel of death" as Harvey called it, you end up with pristine shiny metal. Two draw backs to the wheel.....that old shutz contains asbestos!!! So wear a mask. The wire cup will throw broken wire with use. These are skin penetrating projectiles. I never got hit, but Harvey had to visit the ER once. Pick your poison!
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series

These aren't cheap but neither are lung transplants.

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...20Brochure.pdf

You can get a full coverage face shield with a gasket that will seal it to your face with a good filtration system for around $150-$250. The only issue I have is getting fresh air if you close off the bottom of the car by draping a tarp system to the floor. Otherwise debris will infiltrate every orifice of every nook and cranny in your garage.

Best idea is to do it in someone else's shop.

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

The torch thing seems scary! I did the undercarriage of my 63 356 and used sanders, scrapers and the like. It is quite a job, but it worked real nice. Dude, be careful with the torch.
    John

Early 911 S Registry member 473
    RGruppe member 445