Thread: Paint mixing codes for Leaf Green and Sand Beige???

Paint mixing codes for Leaf Green and Sand Beige???

Does anyone have the mixing codes for Leaf Green and Sand Beige? Not the paint codes themselves, but the actual blends used to mix these colors.

Thanks
    Cornwall
    UK

I know that John Willhoit has colors for the 356. On the other hand there is no perfect match in todays paints.

Base coat only paints are like hunting dinosaurs and even if you get a formula there is a pretty good chance it won't match. A friend of mine got his chip/formula from Willhoit and then spent a considerable amount of time attempting to "get it right". After he did and the car was sprayed out (beautifully I might add) the company that sold the paint stopped marketing it to the point it is hard to find. He's buying a gallon after I found someone with it. A gallon is over-kill but that's how he thinks.

Clears are another matter. They change the base color as well. I take no issue with base coat clear coat. They hold up better and are a lot easier to blend out if you have an issue (accident, boo-boo, scratch, dent....).

Like it or not we'll soon be using water borne paints and clears. That will be another round of matching "Russian Roulette".

Go to any PPG dealership and ask for these colors. They should have a chart. It's sort of up to you to determine if it matches. Sometimes the old formulas cross over to new product. Sometimes they don't. That's where the guy with the good eye for color comes in handy. And, that would be the painter.

Good luck!

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Shooting test panels. Tinting. Shooting more test panels. Tinting again. Shooting even more test panels.

It's not an exact science. I've discussed this with my painter and he says that the water borne stuff is getting pushed pretty hard and the shops that have gone in that direction have a steep learning curve as these are different (yet again).

The truly sticky situations arise from paints with "flop" properties (metallics). If you don't get it right the car will change color depending on viewing angle. Lexus and others that have used Pearls (white) are notorious for this issue. You can watch one approach and as it passes if there is a change in color it's been repaired!

I tend to shy away from metallics when it comes to vintage stuff. Henry Ford had it right; any color you want as long as it is black.

Black, White are not bad but even they require a deft touch on the color wheel. Black isn't always black. BMW uses "red" in Avus Black albeit a minimal amount.

I had 4 test panels shot 2 weeks ago for a bike project. The 2 shops used had the same information and I got 4 different colors! As best I can tell one pairing was due to a difference in the paint used. How about that?

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I found both of the colors in the Glasurit color database for the 22 line.
    Is that what you are looking for?
    There are multiple formulas available for each color so your milage may vary, but they should be good starting points.

You can go check it out for yourself at http://color-online.glasurit.com

The original formulas are useless today because the paints have all changed.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by varunan123 View Post
    I can't remember the number of light ivories i have seen over the years.And it keeps increasing.Whites are the hardest color to get correct IMO-

I bet if we have a long hood light ivory reunion no two cars would have the same color.

raj
    True on all counts!

Tom
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Base coat only paints cannot be blended in without clear. It can be done but is a painstaking process. You are better off using something made for the procedure. My understanding is that the 22 line has all but been discontinued or at least has marked availability.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Quote Originally Posted by sithot View Post
    Base coat only paints cannot be blended in without clear. It can be done but is a painstaking process. You are better off using something made for the procedure. My understanding is that the 22 line has all but been discontinued or at least has marked availability.
    If this line is indeed discontinued, is the next best thing shooting another manufacturer like S&H and utilizing their conversion mix to get the "original" Glasurit color? I'm coming up on this issue with a car being done in Conda Green and am wondering if my painter will be able to even get the 22 Line for the job.
    1974 MFI Carrera
    1992 Carrera RS

S Reg #1245

Very interesting discussion.....my thoughts are:

a. what are we basing the color "match" on do we have reference samples? I would imagine that even the concealed paint on the cars has changed with age.

b. there must have been variations even from the factory, meaning that one Irish green car might be slightly different from the next....maybe not of painted on the same day/batch, but possibly month to month, year to year...

I know this probably will not help the OP but maybe there is some breathing room in this equation...

Kevin

Thanks for the link to the Glasurit site – I'd forgotten about it, even though I'd written about it in the magazine!

There is no colour matching involved. My car WAS once Sand Beige but is now black, but I like the idea of Leaf Green...It's a hot rod and a I don't give a hoot about originality.
    Cornwall
    UK