Thread: 914-6 GT taking on all comers at Nurburgring... except for one!

914-6 GT taking on all comers at Nurburgring... except for one!

This video was originally posted back in Oct. '08 so you guys may have already seen it. Regardless, my co-worker/former 914-6 owner passed it on to me and it's worth sharing if you haven't watched it before. 10 min of pure bliss! Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7O8ePZH5is

Love the engine sound. Alfas, BMWs, Mustangs all passed masterfully...

...but around 6:15 in, he encounters what I believe is a Marcos 1800 GT (based on the comments). Anyone familiar with that car? Wiki suggests it has a Volvo P1800 motor but I can't imagine it having that kind of power to pull away like it's doing. Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by 911030 View Post
    ...but around 6:15 in, he encounters what I believe is a Marcos 1800 GT (based on the comments). Anyone familiar with that car? Wiki suggests it has a Volvo P1800 motor but I can't imagine it having that kind of power to pull away like it's doing. Thoughts?
    Marcos are tiny and very lightweight, which explains how it pulls the /6 in the corners, but I'm guessing it has something more exotic than the 4cyl under the hood as the /6 didn't appear to catch him down the straight either.

You don't see many of them these days. This was one at Lime Rock in '05, with my then 11 year old son towering over it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Don't some of them have wooden members in their chassis?
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

I think that EVERYBODY knows that Mittelmotor 914/6 is NOT a GT and HAS NOT a 2.0 liter engine.....
    Registry Member #1414
    NOSGRUPPE

Quote Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
    Don't some of them have wooden members in their chassis?
    The early ones, through the 60s, had a laminated plywood monocoque chassis. Interestingly the cos in Marcos was Frank Costin, brother of Mike who founded Cosworth. Frank developed his appreciation for wood construction building the Mosquito fighter/bomber during WWII.

edit: I did a little research and discovered they used 3 liter engines in some of the race/rally cars, either a Ford V6, or Volvo straight 6. Considering the GT weighed under 1000 lbs, the performance shown in the video is understandable. I also found another tidbit that I wasn't aware of. The reason they switched to a tube frame in the later cars was not for performance, but because it took 16 hours less time to build than the labor intensive wood monocoque, which was actually lighter and handled better.
    Last edited by Jim Garfield; 05-02-2012 at 02:08 PM.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Wood: natures composite. Plywood: nature's composite made even better by human hands.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425