Thread: Neil Armstrong’s 1967 Corvette Sting Ray for sale as ultimate barn find

Neil Armstrong’s 1967 Corvette Sting Ray for sale as ultimate barn find

Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Defender of the Normal John Fusco's Avatar
    Ha - I was just about to post it - you beat me to it.

Du must schwein haben

901/05 #305701

Bultaco Metralla 62 M8
    1968 BMW R69S

Early911SReg #606

Neil Armstrong's? . . .

Hmmm

Neil Armstrong is given a Corvette in 1967. Drives it some . . . between training/working, raising a family/staying married, astronauting . . .

Turns it in after a year. For a fresh one

Shortly thereafter, some ding-a-ling 'NASA employee' (doing what?) scoops-up said-vehicle
    Puts high-style after-market wheels on it
    Tastefully modifies the bodywork
    Runs into sh!t with it
    (Completely) forgets to wash/maintain/in any meaningful way tend to it
    Then carefully/reverently stores it . . . .

. . . for 31 years . . .

. . . in the balmy, car-friendly climes . . . .

. . . of Florida

. . . for 31 years

Good thing its plastic. Mostly

(Neil who?)

Prolly why I don't own a Corvette

We Can Be Heroes

More 'Neil's' . . .

From the eBay auction, ref 251051174912 . . .

. . . THIS IS THE ULTIMATE CORVETTE "BARN FIND". THIS CORVETTE WAS DELIVERED TO MR. NEIL ARMSTRONG THE FIRST MAN ON THE MOON, ON DECEMBER 15, 1966 FROM JIM RATHMAN CHEVROLET IN MELBOURNE FLORIDA UNDER A PROGRAM INITIATED BY MR. RATHMAN TO PROVIDE OUR ASTRONAUTS WITH A CORVETTE. THEY WOULD KEEP THE CORVETTE FOR A YEAR AND THEN TURN IT IN AND GET A NEW ONE. THIS CORVETTE WAS BOUGHT BY A NASA EMPLOYEE WHEN MR. ARMSTRONG TURNED IT IN AND WAS RETAINED BY THE OWNER UNTIL I PURCHASED THE CORVETTE FROM HIM IN FEBRUARY OF 2012. THE CORVETTE HAD BEEN IN A CLIMATE CONTROLLED ENVIRONMENT AND NOT DRIVEN SINCE SEPT OF 1981. I HAD TRIED TO BUY THE CORVETTE FOR THE PAST 30 YEARS WITH NO LUCK UNTIL A PHONE CALL LED TO THE PURCHASE RECENTLY. AS CAN BE SEEN IN THE PICTURES THE CAR HAS 30+ YEARS OF DUST AND HAS HAD FENDER FLARES CRUDELY ADDED BY THE OWNER DURING IT'S TIME IN STORAGE. THE ONLY THING THAT HAS BEEN DONE TO THE CAR SINCE I PURCHASED IT IS TO GET THE MOTOR RUNNING WHERE IT CAN BE MOVED ABOUT THE GARAGE. I HAVE PURCHASED N.O.S. FENDERS TO REPLACE THE ORIGINALS THAT WERE CUT FOR THE FLARES. THE ONLY THINGS THAT ARE NOT ORIGINAL ON THE CORVETTE ARE THE WHEELS, WATER PUMP, CARB AND MUFFLERS. I HAVE A N.O.S. CORRECT DATE WATER PUMP AND HAVE LOCATED A CORRECT DATE CARB IN TEXAS. I HAVE ALSO OBTAINED A COMPLETE SET OF ORIGINAL G.M. WHEELS. MY INITIAL PLAN WAS TO RESTORE THE CAR ONLY TO THE POINT OF "SURVIVOR CLASSIFICATION" FROM NCRS, BUT TOO MANY THINGS GOING AT THIS TIME AND THIS CORVETTE IS A TRUE PIECE OF HISTORY AND BELONGS IN A MUSEUM OR PRIVATE COLLECTION. THE TANK STICKER IS COMPLETE AND STILL ATTACHED TO THE GAS TANK AND MUCH OF IT CAN BE READ THROUGH THE DUST, I MADE NO ATTEMPT TO CLEAN IT. THE CORVETTE HAS THE FOLLOWING OPTIONS: 427 C.I. 390 H.P-- A.C.--TINTED GLASS--ELECTRIC WINDOWS-- 4 SPEED TRANSMISSION--RADIO--FACTORY TRANSISTOR IGNITION--THE SPARE TIRE HAD NEVER BEEN REMOVED FROM THE CARRIER AS THE PICTURES SHOW. THERE IS A HIGH RESERVE ON THE CAR DUE TO IT'S HISTORY WHICH IS DOCUMENTED WITH THE ORIGINAL G.M. PROTECT-O-PLATE WITH MR. ARMSTRONG'S INFORMATION. THE MILEAGE CAN NOT BE VERIFIED DUE TO THE SPEEDOMETER CABLE BREAKING SOMETIME DURING THE LATE 1970'S . . .

Total Jack Wagon . . . and at $250k ---- failed to make reserve
    Attached Images Attached Images

We Can Be Heroes

The eBay seller is a flipper. He's in fantasy world with the price. Actually John Glenn never really owned the car. It was simply loaned to him.

Richard Newton
    Newton's Laws

Dead on, Rick. I like C2 'Vettes as much as anyone, but the way this one has been "presented" a root canal is more appealing.
    Russ

ESR # 1537

'62 356S Notchback Hotrod
    '67 S Das Geburtstagsgeschenk
    '68 T Targa Sportomatic
    '68 L SW Targa Sportomatic
    '70 914/6 GT