Thread: What 21/26 torsion bars to buy and where?

What 21/26 torsion bars to buy and where?

I decided to follow the advice to upgrade my TBs to 21 front and 26 MM rear. The car is 1973 911T and is strictly street (incl. many potholes) driven. Aktuality I searched I did not find any experience or recomendation of the specific type of TB. Could you please help me to decide and share what are good TBs and where should I go to buy them?

Thank you,
    Martin

Take it from a very satisfied user: buy Sanders hollow Torsion bars.

They're available from many outlets, but If you buy them from Elephant Racing, Chuck has them plated to his specs and plugs the open ends so they do not rust inside the bores. Slightly more ( $$$ ), but without question the highest quality bars available today. Don't worry about the hollow bars performing " differently " than the same diameter solid bars.....you'll never know they're hollow once you start driving the car.

Please see attached photos of my 21mm Sanders front T-bars during the restoration of Ruprecht, my 1970 911T - installed a few years ago......Good Luck !

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 05-05-2012 at 01:26 PM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

What difference in ride can be expected from changing to torsion bars like these? I've been thinking of upgrading mine.

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab

Brian

Not as simple a question as it may first appear, and no one simple answer applies:

If your suspension is stock & there's nothing wrong with it and it is functioning as designed, and if your question is asking whether there would be a difference in ride by replacing functional stock t-bars with new, more expensive plated & plugged aftermarket bars, then No, there would most likely be no discernible difference in ride, other than perhaps a barely perceptible difference in the replacement plated and plugged bars being slightly more rersponsive to road irregularities simply by virtue of being new; ergo, there is no point in replacing functioning bars with similar, new "hi-tech" replacements.

However, Martin's original post inquired which 21F & 26R bars would be best, and where to buy them..............and that, of course, introduces a whole new set of parameters. Firstly, that's a non-stock diameter combination ( Turbo bars were close, but not 21 / 26mm ), and changing to the new, larger diameter bars will fundamentally change ride quality / handling. Furthermore, if done correctly, the "upgrade" in bars will require tuning & matching the rest of the suspension to the new bars, and would therefore render it impossible to quantify the ride difference a change in bars alone would cause.

In that scenario, the plated and plugged hollow Sanders / Elephant bars would however provide longer life and optimum performance due to materials choice, precision manufacturing, heat treating and tempering, and quality control, as compared to "lesser", normal T-bars.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 05-06-2012 at 01:57 PM.
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

Nice answer, John. Thanks. I think I'll stay stock then; mine seems to be fine as-is.

- Brian

1966 Mercedes 250SE Cab