Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1970 911T Light Weight Build

1970 911T Lightweight Build

Day One

After a month long debat about what to do about the engine, I seem to have been neglecting to rest of the "T". So, today was all about gutting the carpet, seats, pedal boards, and what ever else lives inside of the "T". Mind you, it's been resting in either a storage unit or garage for the past 20yrs and who knows what rodent has claimed stake inside. At the moment, the proposed end goal for the project calls for a completely gutted interior with little to no creature comforts.

It's amazing what you'll find under the seats.

Original color is Brown

Good bye stereo

Anyone know the best way to remove the wet and dried up glue residue?

Who's interested in an original passenger seat w/ headrest?
    Last edited by CaryPhotography; 01-08-2014 at 07:20 AM.

Grease and wax remover works well at getting most glue residue off.

If you are going to put retractable seat belts in the car can i have one of the little black plastic hangers i can see on the 1/4 panel covering??

Quote Originally Posted by classic View Post

If you are going to put retractable seat belts in the car can i have one of the little black plastic hangers i can see on the 1/4 panel covering??
    What about paint stripper, especially considering the fact that I'm planning on painting the interior.

From what I hear, the main issue with paint stripper is that it will get into the little nooks and crannies like between the spot welds and then after paint it will result in fish eyes.
    1971 911S, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened
    Early 911S Registry Member #425

member #1515
    working with any type of solvent inside the car is not very health. Some of those citrus cleaners are pretty aggressive and can get that glue off.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

No paint stripper, as above and you won't be able to nutrilize it, as most require water.

If you are going to remove the paint from the interior without media blasting, you basically only have one option and that's mechanical (wire wheel, sander ect.) JMO

Quote Originally Posted by classic View Post

I'm caging the car and will not be reinstalling retractable seat belts. PM me your mailing address.

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    working with any type of solvent inside the car is not very health. Some of those citrus cleaners are pretty aggressive and can get that glue off.

I've already started to use the grinding wheel but I'd prefer to use some sort of solvent.
    Name:  PorscheProjectDayOne-2-2.jpg
Views: 1424
Size:  392.4 KB
    got any suggestions on aggressive citrus based solvents?

It’s a tedious job, but worth it.

I tried solvents for the glue and that juts made a mess that had to be stripped with the wire wheel and stripping pads anyway.

Assorted types of wire wheels on the grinder work well they dull down and loose wires while stripping the wires then shoot out and stick in any exposed skin, fun!!

I bought a cheap set of coveralls from home depot and used a grinding face mask and dust respirator, gloves, etc.

I would say it took about 20-24 hours of work to get the entire inside down to metal; it left a very nice surface for paint and was worth the effort.

Here’s some inspiration to keep you going…(this is my ’76 turbo)

Kevin
    Name:  P1000902sm.jpg
Views: 1298
Size:  86.9 KB
    Attachment 215196
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Member #2239
    '76 911 turbo lightweight
    '87 land rover D110

Kevin,

That is awesome!! Did you find that a wire wheel worked better then a high grit pad?