Thread: Flexible metal guide straps for tubing and wiring- where to source?

Flexible metal guide straps for tubing and wiring- where to source?

I did a search but couldn't find anything on this. My 73 has numerous metal "straps" that are tack welded in the middle, and the two ears that are formed are bent around wiring and tubing in various places (trunk, engine bay, etc.) to hold things in place. Often they have a plastic tube placed over them. I don't know if these have a common name, but you probably know what I'm talking about. One of mine has work hardened over time and one wing fell off. I assume this is just a part that everyone fabricates, but perhaps there are some better choices of metals or repro sources that people have found work best. Any thoughts appreciated.

When rebuilding or refurbishing an area from scratch I just cut a tab from thin sheet metal, drill a hole in the middle and plug weld with a MIG. If you're not going that far then you can either use make do with the other tab (not ideal) or cut and drill a new tab as above, grind off the old tab and drill a pilot hole and attach with a self tapping screw. Might even be able to use JB Weld but I've never tried it. I doubt you will find anyone selling the tabs as such. PVC sleeving can be bought by the metre to use as the protective covering from most auto electrical outlets.

Mick

Quote Originally Posted by mobius911 View Post
    I did a search but couldn't find anything on this. My 73 has numerous metal "straps" that are tack welded in the middle, and the two ears that are formed are bent around wiring and tubing in various places (trunk, engine bay, etc.) to hold things in place. Often they have a plastic tube placed over them. I don't know if these have a common name, but you probably know what I'm talking about. One of mine has work hardened over time and one wing fell off. I assume this is just a part that everyone fabricates, but perhaps there are some better choices of metals or repro sources that people have found work best. Any thoughts appreciated.
    Those tabs are just 20 ga strips cut and spot welded. They break commonly. If you're in bare metal resto mode just cut some to match and spot with a MIG......if you don't want to heat the area on an assembled car drill the location and tab and pop rivet. The plastic sheathing and captive wiring hide the rivet head.

The sheathing isn't all that easy the find.....you can use heat shrink which is easier to find...or Y&Zs sells the sheathing as does Wurth but in bulk.
    Mark Smedley
    '59 VW Typ I
    '69 911T 2.7
    '86 930
    '04 GT3
    '16 Boxster GTS
    '08 MBZ AMG CLK 63 Black Series